I’ve gotten a number of questions from folks about how to get started with the first challenge in this year’s Mastery Challenge. Before we dig into some possible recipes, I want to make a few things clear.
- The only requirement for participation in the Mastery Challenge is that you make something that falls under the umbrella of the monthly topic (this month, it’s citrus). There are no prizes and it doesn’t cost money to participate.
- This challenge is about learning, expanding and having fun. That’s why the monthly topics are so open and flexible. The intention is that you make some kind of preserve that can fall under broad monthly challenge.
- The recipe you choose doesn’t have to be water bath canned to count as your monthly project. It can be canned, fermented, dried, designed to be kept in the fridge for short term storage, or frozen for longer storage.
- The monthly challenges won’t be perfectly seasonal for everyone. It’s not possible to create a list that works for all people in all places. Try to think creatively about how to work within the topic.
- If you live in a place where the monthly topics are wholly inappropriate for your seasons (I see you, Southern Hemisphere folks), I invite you to grab a different topic from the list and try your hand at that.
For this month, we’re focusing on citrus and there’s simply a ton of opportunity within that category. You’re welcome to make a favorite citrus preserve or try something new to stretch your skills. I’ve pulled together a number of my favorite recipes below, but you are not limited to recipes I’ve written. Hit up your local library, find a recipe online, or if you feel comfortable doing so, invent your own.
Meyer lemon ginger marmalade
Fig Meyer lemon marmalade
Sweet cherry Meyer lemon marmalade (using frozen cherries is perfectly acceptable)
Lemon lime marmalade
Small batch marmalade (this is a technique recipe and can be used with a wide variety of citrus fruit)
Makrut lime marmalade
Small batch blood orange marmalade
Meyer lemon grapefruit marmalade
Small batch kumquat marmalade
Curds and Jams
Jellies, Shrubs, and Syrups
Other Citrus Preserves
Finally, the deadline for this first month of the challenge is Friday, January 25. I’ll have a submission form up next week.