Mastery Challenge January Round-up: Marmalade

February 1, 2017

Well friends, I think we can safely say that the first month of the Food in Jars Mastery Challenge was a resounding success. Currently, there are just over 1,500 of you signed up via our email list and nearly 600 of you submitted a project for the final tally and round-up.

You turned blueberries, bergamot, cherries, clementines, cranberries, figs, ginger, grapefruit, key limes, kiwis, kumquats, lemons, limes (Persian, Bearss, and Makrut varieties all abound), mangoes, Meyer lemon (the most popular single fruit variety in the challenge), onions, oranges (including blood, Cara Cara, honeybell, mandarin, Minneola, navel, satsuma, and Seville), pears, pineapple, pomelo, rhubarb, strawberries, tomatoes, tangelo, yuzu, and zucchini.

There were also a few unexpected ingredients, including champagne, rice wine vinegar, and a grudging willingness to participate (I saw that, Janet).

For 61% of you, this was the first time you ever attempted to make marmalade. The remaining 39% of you who had done it before. And while I’m not a statistician, I do believe that the charts above tell us that most of you are feel more warmly towards marmalade than you did at the beginning of January.

Now, on to the marmalades. Because of the high number of participants, I’m not able to include everyone in the round-up. But I am going to do my best to ensure that a goodly number of you are represented here.

Blood Orange Marmalades

Slivers of blood oranges on their way to becoming marmalade – Kitchen Commentary

Cara Cara Oranges

Cooking down the lemons – My Bit of Earth



Lemon (Meyer and Other)

Lemon and mango marmalade – Sidewalk Shoes

Other Assorted Sweet Marmalades

Savory Marmalades

A huge thank you to all of you who participated in this challenge! So sorry that I wasn’t able to include everyone in the round-up, but if I didn’t get to you this month, I’ll do my best to include you next time!

9 responses to “Mastery Challenge January Round-up: Marmalade”

  1. Ah! Look at all those amazing recipes and processes! Such an extensive list, I can’t wait to check them all out 🙂

    Thanks for hosting us, Marisa! This is such a fun challenge!

  2. Thank you for the inspiration and pulling this challenge together Marisa! I’m enjoying the variety of marmalade everyone made. In six months, finding a jar of Cara Cara – Meyer Lemon Marmalade in my pantry will bring such joy!

  3. Well you sure did give us a lot to look at this is now the “Go to Page” for marmalade look up. thank you. I look forward to trying Onion’s this year! xoxo

  4. I’ve made lemon marmalade before but a had a case of tangerines and blood oranges and was looking for a recipe. None of the ones I found were very clear so I tried my own. After two tries it came out great. I don’t know how I missed this challenge but I am bookmarking this page for future reference. Good job everyone. ??

  5. Oh my god, I have hit a jack pot of ideas!!!!! with this round up. Thank you for the list. I love marmalade and make at least a dozen bottles each year. I was looking for ideas for flavorings when I came across this page!!! .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Partners

    Fillmore Container banner ad EcoJarz banner ad Awareness Lift banner ad McDonald paper banner ad