The nice folks from Philly Foodworks dropped off another lovely box of produce for me last week. I’ve cooked and processed my way through most of it now and will be sharing those details over the next couple weeks. But as a little sneak preview, here’s what came in this box and what I’ve done (or am planning) to do with it.
- A head of cabbage (it’s become a batch of sauerkraut streaked with fennel fronds)
- A bundle of rainbow carrots (these, I’m afraid, met a bitter end. I put them in the oven to roast and then got distracted. Incinerated)
- A bag of mixed beans (pickles)
- A bundle of Chioggia beets (more pickles)
- A quart of cherries (they’ve become part of a batch of peach cherry jam)
- A head of escarole (soup)
- 1 sweet onion (a relish I’ll be telling you about soon)
- 3 green bell peppers (also in the relish)
- A jar of garlic and rosemary fermented carrots (I’ve been eating these with my lunch)
- A tub of Mediterranean sesame dip (delicious on everything from crackers to cucumber rounds)
Looks like dragon’s tongue beans in there! I threw some in a spicy Thai-inspired shrimp stir-fry the other night … LOVED the texture, but they didn’t keep their color. Curious to know how their color holds up as a pickle !
Will you share the recipe for peach cherry jam? Cherries are on sale this week and our CSA boxes have given us an abundance of peaches the last couple of weeks.
I was planning to and will have it up later this week!
I’ve never known CSA’s to include” manufactured” items, only raw fruits and veggies. I would like getting a couple of new products to try with my produce.
Hi Kim! visit our website at phillyfoodworks.com – there’s tons of goodies to be had!
Still hoping to see that green pepper relish recipe!