I landed in Los Angeles late last night, picked up a rental car, and drove to my best-friend-from-college’s apartment. As I zipped along the freeway, I felt both totally at home and entirely out of place. I was born in this city and lived here until I was nearly nine years old. I have a sense of deep, near-cellular recognition with this land and its scents (eucalyptus! dry grass! smog!). I am happy to visit (and to teach a class at The Gourmandise School on Tuesday!), but it is not my place.
After that, I fly back to Portland for all of 29 hours, spend a little time with my sister and curly-headed nephew and then back to Philadelphia. It has been a wonderful west coast book tour and I’m so grateful to all the people who had me into their store, gave me places to sleep, and came out to see me and say hi.
- A sweet video of strawberry picking and a recipe for easy strawberry freezer jam.
- Sweet green tomato preserves.
- Strawberry blood orange jam.
- Quick apricot pickles. Yum!
- Roasted strawberries. If you’ve never made them, do try preparing them this way. You won’t be sad.
- How to make small batches of pectin rich jelly in order to boost your set naturally.
- Fried pickles! With green goddess aioli! Talk about putting your preserves into action!
- Lacto-fermented pickled cherries. If you have access to slightly underripe cherries, I beg you to try this!
- I posted about Asian Pickles on Saturday, but you don’t just have to take my word for its greatness. Sidewalk Shoes and The Kitchn like it too.
Thanks to Fillmore Container, for hosting such a generous giveaway last week, as well as to all of you who took the time to leave a comment and share your jar longings! The winner (selected at random) is #914/Shannon. She said, “Love this website! Immediately I found this pour lid that attaches to the canning jar which is perfect for when I make salad dressings. So whether or not (which I hope so) win I will be buying this and more.”