Red Currant Jelly

Tart, sweet, and gorgeously ruby-hued, this red currant jelly is the perfect way to make the most of a relatively small amount of currants.

Six half pints of fresh red currants.

Over the years, I’ve canned nearly everything there is to be canned. I’ve done every stripe of stonefruit, all the common berries, and have pickled nearly everything I could. The list of things I’d not worked with was relatively short. However, there were a few notable things that had thus far avoided my jam pan. Chief among them, currants.

Red currants in a yellow colander

It wasn’t that I was disinterested in currants. The issue was simply that they were either impossible to find or cost-prohibitive when I did come across a small display. And so they remained on firmly on the list of things I wanted to experience but just hadn’t gotten to yet.

Happily, Ben Wenk of Three Springs Fruit Farm has started growing an array of hard-to-find fruits, including gooseberries and currents in multiple colors. A couple weeks ago, he cut me a deal on a mixed flat of currants so that I could finally see what all the fuss was about.

Red currants in a stainless steel pot on the stove.

I brought them home and promptly consulted Pam Corbin’s The River Cottage Preserves Handbook (like I mentioned in my gooseberry jam post, she is my first stop any time I’m working with unfamiliar fruit that is common in the UK). I followed her instructions for simmering the fruit in water until soft.

Three cups currant juice, soon to become red currant jelly.

Somewhere in my apartment, I have a jelly bag and draining rig, but I could not put my hands on it the day I started this jelly. I used a nut milk bag to separate the pulp from the juice and it worked nicely.

I also flouted the advice* in the book and squeezed the heck of out of the currant solids, trying to wrest out every last bit of juice (I only started with a little less than two pounds of red currants, so I wanted to get as much from them as was possible). I wound up with three cups of juice, when all was done.

Red currant juice in a pot, soon to become red currant jelly.

Once you’ve extracted the juice, the work of making the red currant jelly is quick. Currants are quite pectin-rich, so all they need is sugar and a few minutes of boiling and they’re ready to set into jelly. I used Pam’s ratio of 1 cup of juice to 1 cup of sugar. While I normally opt for lower sugar preserves, currants are so tart and tannic, that in this case, the sugar doesn’t feel at all overwhelming.

Red currant jelly in assorted jars.

Following Pam’s instructions, I brought the juice to a boil first and then added the sugar. Once combined, I noticed signs of setting within five minutes. The temperature was a gel-friendly 221F and the droplets hanging off the spatula were thick and viscous. In the end, I had four half pints of glowing, gorgeously red jelly.

*Both Pam and conventional wisdom says that if you squeeze the bag, you’ll end up with cloudy jelly. I don’t particularly care if my jelly isn’t perfectly clear, so I pressed and squeezed that bag. I got an additional 1/2 cup of juice for my efforts, so it was well worth it.

Red Currant Jelly

Ingredients

• 3 cups red currant juice
  • 3 cups granulated sugar

Instructions

1. Prepare a boiling water bath and four half pint jars.
  2. Pour the currant juice into a low, wide, non-reactive pot and bring to a boil. Once it begins to roll, stir in the sugar.
  3. Boil for 5-8 minutes, until the jelly begins to set. Once it passes a set test, remove it from the heat.
  4. Funnel into prepared jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.

Notes

To make red currant juice, simmer fruit with water for 45 to 50 minutes. Use 1 cup of water for every pound of fruit. Pour liquid and pulp into a jelly bag and strain overnight. Ignore instructions to avoid squeezing the bag and give it good, solid press. That juice is precious!

13 Responses to Red Currant Jelly

Danita Day says:

I saw a small amount of red currants at my neighborhood market on Tuesday. They were not priced but I’m guessing they were expensive. I would like to try this. Have you ever made sand plum jelly? It was a common roadside fruit in OK where I grew up. It’s delicious. Also I saw a recipe in the recent copy of Bon Appetit for salted honey cantelope jam. Have you done anything with cantelope?

Cindy G says:

I wish I had seen this earlier today! They had currants (and gooseberries) at the farm stand today!!

Tiffany says:

Looks yummy! I got a new berry to try this year too – goumi berry – tart and tannic like your red currants. It turned out to be a beautiful rosey pink color and quite tasty.

Molly O says:

There are an absolute ton of wild red currants growing in southcentral Alaska and they have quickly become my favorite jelly-making fruit. Last year I mixed them with salmonberries – possibly mah favorite jelly so far!

Chrissy says:

I squeeze the bag, too. I don’t enter into any fairs so clarity is not an issue and I like to have every bit of goodness.

KFinn says:

I grew up with white and red currants. At my own house, I have a red and black currant bush. They are my ultimate favorite. Season has passed and the birds had their fill. A litte batch of strawberry, rhubarb and currant jam is a must every year. In the past I have made currant jam and it is precious commodity!
    I am so glad you have now gotten a chance to try them.

Savonarola says:

Currant jelly is absolutely my favorite. I’ve missed it so since I left Germany and can no longer get red currants in enough supply. There are commercial versions, available in some places, but they don’t touch homemade. I’m glad that you finally got to make some! It is so wonderful over cream cheese or creme fraiche. Enjoy!

Angela says:

My parents have some black currants on their land and last year I picked some. I extracted the juice with my pressure cooker. A brief cook of 3-4 minutes with a small amount of water and the fruit in a steamer basket at the bottom makes the perfect clear juice. No straining required and the fruit is practically white because only the pulp remains. I have done this with tart cherries as well and Saskatoon berries (juneberries for some) with great success. I have yet to try red currants but we have a wild berry here that is similar called a high bush cranberry which i have made jelly with in the same way.

onesillyme says:

Do you cook the currants on the stem? I would think that could give the juice a bit of a woody flavor.

Danita Day says:

I have the same question. I bought a half flat of red and black currants today and was hoping to cook them tomorrow. Also should I follow same recipe with black currants?

Teresa Rodriguez says:

Thanks for this! This year in the Pacific Northwest our red currant bushes were prolific and I ended up with about 15 lbs of fresh currants, that I immediately juiced and froze. I think I have about 12 cups juice in the freezer. Good to know that you don’t need pectin. I cooked some without stems, and the second batch I juiced in a juicer, stems and all, then strained again and brought to a boil before freezing. My sister and I picked for 5 hours each to get this quantity, so that is why currants are so expensive.

Teresa Rodriguez says:

Actually I miscounted… that was 16 cups frozen red currant juice.

[…] the linking practices of a popular canning blog, Food in Jars, run by Marisa McClellan. In her Red Currant Jelly recipe, McClellan refers to a published recipe book, Pam Corbin’s The River Cottage Preserves, as […]

[…] in pectin that you don’t need to add commercial pectin to achieve set (a good example is the red currant jelly I wrote about last summer). Those jellies just need enough sugar to help elevate the temperature to […]

1. Other People's Preserves: The Citation Economies of a Canning Blog - & - October 13, 2016

2. Jellies and Shrubs for the March Mastery Challenge - Food in Jars - March 5, 2017