Canning season is nearly upon us, which means that it’s time for classes! I’m teaching a number of classes this year and I’ve tried to switch things up a little, to ensure that I’m offering new skills and recipes in these sessions. Even if you’ve taken a class from me in the past, hopefully you’ll find something new and appealing here! Here are my classes that are coming in the next few months!
- May 11 – Low Sugar Strawberry Jam at Indy Hall in Philly, from 11 am – 1 pm. Learn the basics of using Pomona’s Pectin and boiling water bath canning. Email or comment to sign up. Class fee is $50.
- May 18 – Strawberry Mint Jam at Greensgrow, from 12 – 2 pm. Click here to register. Class fee is $35.
- May 19 – Strawberry Vanilla Jam at Blooming Glen Farm in Perkasie, PA from 10 am – 12 noon. Click here to sign up and for more details. Class fee is $50
- June 15 – Strawberry Vanilla Jam at the Morris Arboretum in Chestnut Hill, PA, from 10 am – 12 noon. Click here to sign up. Class fee is $35/40.
- June 22 – Cucumber Pickles, Two Ways at Greensgrow, from 12 – 2 pm. Click here to register. Class fee is $35.
- July 13 – Plum-Apricot Preserves at Indy Hall in Philly, from 11 am – 1 pm. Explore pectin-free jam making and boiling water bath canning. Email or comment to sign up. Class fee is $50.
- July 20 – Low Sugar Plum Jam at the Longview Farm Market in Collegeville, PA, from 11 am – 1 pm. Click here to sign up and for more information. Class fee is $35.
* * * * * * * *
If you’re in the Philadelphia area and are free this Saturday, May 4, consider attending the Les Dames d’Escoffier Symposium. It will be a day of cooking sessions and discussions designed to appeal to every possible interest of foodies (both men and women!) in Philadelphia.
- A panel discussion with Chef Georges Perrier and Charlotte Calmels of Bibou
- A cocktail seminar with premier Philadelphia mixologist, Katie Loeb
- A panel discussion on Urban Farming
- A gluten free baking class with Chef Jason Roberts from ABC’s The Chew
- A discussion on “Breaking the Color Barrier in the Kitchen” with five panelists including Charlotte Lyons, former food editor at Ebony Magazine and Chef Kim Fonville, private chef for Will Smith’s family
Ticket includes breakfast, panel discussions, lunch and an afternoon reception. Registration is $105, but they’re offering a promotional price of $75 for readers of Food in Jars. Just register for the event under the “professional member registration” rate. Click here for more information and to register.