Canning season is beginning to pick up speed, and so I wanted to take just a moment to pull together some useful resources and reminders. These are great for brand new jammers and picklers, as well as practiced food preservers who just need shake off the cobwebs after a winter away from their boiling water bath canners.
For brand new canners, the best starting points are these two posts. One details the gear you need (most of which you probably already have in your kitchen) and the other talks you through the canning process.
Once you’re ready to can, here are some posts to help you with getting jam to set, what to do if a jar breaks, how to fix runny jam, and much more.
- How to Ensure that Your Jam Sets
- What to Do When A Jar Breaks in the Canner
- How to Save Runny Jam
- The Shelf Life of Jam
- Why You Shouldn’t Double Batches of Jam
- Why You Should Remove Air Bubbles From Your Jars
- How to Can Creatively and Still Be Safe
You can see my complete Canning 101 archive here.