Well kids, it was another whirlwind week (I’m beginning to think that they are the only kind I have anymore). I taught, I spoke, I schlepped jars to and fro (it was book photo shoot week!), and I did my best to write things both here and elsewhere. We are rounding the corner into the final push of summer and though I look forward to this time of year like no other, I will be grateful for the slower, cooler days of fall.
- Kate from The Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking shows her secrets for breaking up the work of salsa making and fitting it into her week.
- A reminder to make the preserves your family actually likes to eat, along with a recipe for pickled beets.
- Plum preserves, sweetened with honey.
- A really comprehensive tutorial on how to make sauerkraut, one jar at a time.
- Two NPR food stories from Deena Pritchep. One about fruit-filled hand pies and the other about the traditional fermented Russian drink, kvas.
- A fun round-up from Eat Boutique about shrubs and fruit infused booze.
- A really helpful post about preserving the fruits of summer in ways that work for diabetics.
- Sarah from The Yellow House digs into the ethics and viability of local food, and shares her second digital recipe booklet. This one features summer tomatoes and is gorgeous.
- Beautiful storytelling about hot summer days, frustration, and a stew of tomatoes, onions, and flat green beans.
- Finally, if you’re curious about bowl of pasta above, it’s the latest version of the no-cook pasta sauce I wrote about for Slashfood many, many years ago. I didn’t have any mozzarella, so I used a palmful of grated Parmesan instead (and added some chopped basil, as well). These days, I serve it over big beds of baby arugula to make it both lighter and more filling.
Last week’s giveaway was five sets of berry coupons with a value of $15 from Driscoll’s Berries. I had written a guest post for their blog and shared my recipe for Blackberry Sage Jam. As happens with all good things, that giveaway has come to and end and it’s now time to announce the winners! They are…
Thanks to all who entered! I’ll be in touch soon!