Vanilla Yellow Plum Jam

three pounds yellow plums

The summer is waning and I have a massive backlog of recipes that are rapidly becoming moot as produce moves out of season. My plan for the next couple weeks is to keep my posts relatively simple and just get as many of these new preserves up here as I can before they are no longer timely.

macerated yellow plums

This yellow plum jam variation is one I’ve made three times over the years and yet it hasn’t wound up on the blog or in any of my books. I find that yellow plums aren’t always easy to find, and so when I do stumble across them, I like to pick up a few pounds and make this jam.

four half pints yellow plum jam

This year, I came across yellow plums at my Saturday farmers market, where one of my favorite farmers had no more than a dozen pints, at just a buck a pint. So ripe that they barely made it back to my kitchen intact, I prepped them by squeezing them into pulp over a large measuring cup.

yellow plum labels

Because the plums were so sweet and ripe, I tempered them with a goodly amount of lemon juice to keep them from being cloying. If your plums are quite tart, back off on the lemon juice or skip it entirely (remember, when a recipe calls for fresh lemon juice, that’s your signal that it’s there for flavor balance, not safety. It’s only when a recipe indicates that you need to use bottled lemon juice that you should stick exactly to the amount of lemon juice called for).

Vanilla Yellow Plum Jam

Yield: makes 4 half-pints

Ingredients

• 3 pounds yellow plums (about six cups of pulp)
  • 11/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
  • Juice of 1 lemon

Instructions

1. Prepare a small boiling water bath canner and 4 half pint jars.
  2. Chop or crush the plums, remove the pits, and combine them with the sugar and vanilla bean seeds. Stir to incorporate the sugar.
  3. Once the sugar is dissolved, set the pan on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil.
  4. Cook, stirring regularly for 15 to 25 minutes, until the fruit thickens and reduces by at least one-third.
  5. Taste and add lemon juice as needed.
  6. When the jam seems quite thick and glossy, remove it from the heat.
  7. Funnel the jam into the prepared jars. Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
  8. When time is up, remove jars from the canner and set them on a folded kitchen towel to cool.
  9. When jars are cool enough to handle, test seals. Sealed jars are shelf stable for at least one year. Any unsealed jars should be refrigerated and used promptly.

39 Responses to Vanilla Yellow Plum Jam

Caroline says:

I think you mean plums & not nectarines in your ingredient list…

Whoops! Yes, I did mean plums. This is what I get when I blog close to bedtime. The recipe should now be correct.

• suzanne says:

this did not set up at all after 25 min for me. i boiled simmered stirred etc. it’s been over an hour and it’s sitting on the stovetop “cooling.” I’m going to add some liquid pectin bring to a boil and see what happens. I used the freezer test too. It did set up a tiny bit. First time for me.

• Marisa says:

This is a soft set jam. It’s not going to set up super firmly. However, I’d suggest letting it cool overnight and judging the set once it has cooled. If you still don’t like it, reheat it with the pectin and cook until it passes your favorite set test.

Lisa Noble says:

I’m hoping this means I can do this with nectarines, too. 🙂

Keri says:

Do you peel the plums or leave the skins in?

Leave the skins on. Any time I intend for you to peel the fruit, I will tell you specifically to do so.

Jessica says:

Thanks for the detail about fresh lemon juice meaning it is for flavor not necessity! I rarely have fresh lemons and all this summer when I saw that in a recipe, I added a glug of bottled lemon juice!

So glad I came across this Marisa! My folks friends have a yellow plum tree and it bears so much fruit – and they keep giving me bag after bag full. This is the perfect solution!!

Andigrif says:

Mmm sounds good, I got some yellow plums from our fruit CSA this week so this is perfect. Tomorrow I’ll make this one and some peach jam too

Erin says:

Thanks for the recipe. I’m processing four half pint jars of this right now!

Sharon in Surrey says:

Tis the season to be gifted with unwanted plums & zucchini!!! I can’t wait to make a couple of jars of your jam – it’s so simple. Lately it’s been too hot for cooked jam so I made freezer jam instead. But I think I’ll try this one.

Thank you for the LIDS. Got them in the mail today. One is already on the jar of corn starch so I can sprinkle it straight into liquids!!!

Joy says:

I assume the fruit itself has a high enough sugar/pectin to not need additional pectin?

Joy says:

PS any suggestions on where to buy good quality vanilla beans? Our local natural food store sells them for $6 each and they are dry and not many seeds.

Emily says:

Thanks for the tip about the lemon juice. It makes perfect sense; I just never thought of it that way. And you know what, Marisa, this is one of things that keeps me coming back to your blog–you share delicious recipes and even after all these years still manage to sneak useful tidbits of info into your posts. Thanks as always for keeping it fresh (no sort-of pun intended 🙂 ).

Cami says:

I had never even heard of yellow plums before I read your post on Friday. Then that afternoon I actually saw them at our fruit stand. This is the first of your recipes my dad and I have tried. I’ve followed your blog for some time and have had your first cookbook since it came out. We just never took the plunge….til this past weekend. We love it! We doubled the recipe because we have biscuits or toast for breakfast almost every morning. Dad really likes that it isn’t too sweet. We both can’t wait to try another of your recipes!

Elizabeth says:

Hi Marisa! Love your blog and cookbooks (especially preserving by the pint), but what I really LOVE is that you give useful measurements! We have a couple fruit trees and small veggie garden, so I really appreciate that you give weight (useful when buying at the store) and volume (since I don’t have a food scale for homegrown items) measurements! Appreciate all you do! Made this using our yellow plums-delicious!

Andigrif says:

Made this today, absolutely yummy!

michelle says:

This is not a comment about the jam. But I need help. Today I tried to can green beans everything went good until I took the jars out of the pressure cooker. That’s when I saw my jars of beans had hardly any liquid left ok them. They have all sealed lids propped. But are they safe to eat or should I just start over.

As long as you processed them for the right amount of time, they’re safe. It may be that your had some trapped air bubbles and they forced their way out.

Shelby says:

Have you ever worked with green gage plums (reine claude)? I have a coworker who has a tree and each year she gives me like 10 lbs! I’ve found a good basic jam recipe that I’ve been using for a few years, but I would love to try something different if you have anything up your sleeves!

Greengage are hard to come by in my area, but they are truly the most wonderful plums. When I do get them, I like to jam them with a split and scraped vanilla bean.

Melissa says:

Just made this in 9 4 oz jars for teacher gifts. Very sweet when made with Sierra honey plums.

Kathie says:

Thanks for this super easy recipe Marisa! I used purple plums because that’s what I had but the vanilla flavor still seeps in. I love it when there’s no peeling involved. I cooked the jam with the vanilla pod in the mix and then fished it out before canning.

Katie says:

Can this be done with frozen yellow plums? I have about 6 LARGE ziploc bags full in my freezer…

Rebecca says:

My jam isn’t setting – do you cook it down to your desired finished consistency before bottling? I assumed it would set a little more once cooled after canning

You never cook it down to the desired finished consistency. You always want to stop short of that, because if you take it to the desired finished consistency while it’s still hot, it’s going to thicken a great deal more once it is cool. It will take about 24 to 36 hours to reach its final set. What’s more, if you used the pectin, there’s really no way for it not to set up.

Vanessa says:

Just took 4 half pints out, seals popped almost immediately and they are looking amazing! Thanks for such an easy recipe!

Michelle says:

Planning on making today. Just to confirm it asks for one and one half cups of sugar?

siobhan scollick says:

How long does it last for once stored in jars?