CSA Cooking: Smoky, Spicy, Skillet Tomato Jam

half pint tomato jam

Skillet jams really are the best way I know to deal with a couple pounds of rapidly ripening fruit. Today’s batch was a slimmed down, extra spicy and smoky version of my classic tomato jam.

I had just two pounds of mismatched tomatoes from last week’s Philly Foodworks share and with a vacation looming, I’ve been trying to make useful things out of everything that could possibly go bad around here.

2 pounds macerated tomatoes

I chopped up the tomatoes, combined them with 1 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, and let them macerate over night (I do so love breaking up the work of even the smallest batches of preserves into easily manageable pieces).

skillet tomato jam

Then today, I poured the juicy sugared tomatoes into my trusty 12 inch skillet and added 4 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice, 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger, 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes, 1 generous teaspoon of smoked paprika, another teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne.

tomato jam in a measuring cup

The tomatoes cooked down over hight heat for just around 20 minutes, until it was glossy, thick, and didn’t look at all watery. Into a trio of half pint jars and processed for 15 minutes, this little batch took less than an hour total of active time.

three half pints tomato jam

Like all tomato jams, this one is good with cheese and crackers, slathered on a burger, eaten with sweet potato fries, or dolloped alongside scrambled eggs.

71 Responses to CSA Cooking: Smoky, Spicy, Skillet Tomato Jam

Heather says:

Marisa- Tomatoes are also in season here in Vanutau so last weekend I made a batch of charred salsa, following a recipe that acidified it with cider vinegar. However I processed the jars for about 10 minutes. After reading your recipe around digging around on your site I looked at recipe again and noticed it . called for a considerably longer process time, classic me not reading the whole recipe. Now a liitle concerned, should I be worried?

Thanks, Heather

Chrissy says:

This looks fabulous!

Kathleen says:

Thank you for the new recipe: Smoky, Spicy, Skillet Tomato Jam. This grandma needed this recipe what-with all the extra tomatoes and fresh hot peppers in my garden. {smile) The older generation still adhere to the thought “waste not ~ want not”. Food in Jars is one of my absolute favorite online newsletters. You’re doing a great job.

ashley says:

can i double this recipe?

Shelly says:

Man, that skillet jam looks and smells great! Yes, I can smell it! Thanks for the recipe. I’m definitely going to use it.

Jules says:

Nice spice profile – with 6 tomato plants all of different types, colours, and sizes this year I’m always looking for small recipes that can use up a couple of pounds at a time. I adore your basic tomato jam – I think I’ll have to give this a try (but with less chile – I’m a total wuss when it comes to heat).

I’ve done a couple of batches of your pizza sauce so far with different mixes of tomatoes, will be fun to crack those open in the dead of winter. 🙂

Laurie says:

Any reason you couldn’t use brown sugar instead of granulated white sugar in this tecipe?

Faith says:

Yum! This is one of my favorite jams…I made it from your cookbook last year to use up some of the small pear shaped cherry tomatoes that I grew on a whim. This year I planted 2 of those pear tomato plants just for this jam. At first I had to freeze the few ripe ones until I had enough for a batch of jam. Now the plants are ripening much faster, so I can harvest a batch worth each week. I have probably eaten it just about every way you mentioned — my favorite way is to slather it on a warm tortilla and top it with scrambled eggs and shredded cheese. Thanks for this great recipe!

Emily says:

I made my take on this today and it is fabulous!
    Thank you for all of the teaching and inspiration in what has been the first summer of food preservation for me. I’m sure it is the start of a lifetime love and you must surely take a lot of the credit!

Becky says:

I had the hardest time getting my tomato jam to cook down recently – I’m guessing too much moisture in the tomatoes had something to do with it, but I also realize I may have not had the heat up high enough on the stove. I ended up making it in the crock pot, which took longer, but definitely made for an easier time of it.

Rebecca says:

My housemates are so happy that this is cooking on my stove right now. We can’t get enough of tomato jam, and we’re so glad tomato season is here & in full swing!

lynn says:

tried it loved it terrific recipe for tomatoes ure the best thanks for sharing

Elayne says:

Can I use cherry and grape tomatoes?

Rachel says:

I’ve got a bunch of little tomatoes from my garden that I’ve been unsure what to do with (not enough for sauce, and I’ve dried a bunch already). This looks perfect. Thanks!

amanda says:

Are those 4 oz or 8 oz jars?

Katie says:

This is an amazing recipe! It tastes a little like barbecue sauce…sweetly spicy. I’ve never had tomato jam before, but I’m a convert now. I used three pounds of assorted tomatoes (mostly chadwick cherries) from our garden and scaled the other ingredients up appropriately…I ended up with three half-pints of jam. This recipe is good enough reason to continue picking the last tomatoes from our plants (the freezer is already at capacity with sauce)! Thank you!

[…] CSA Cooking: Smoky, Spicy, Skillet Tomato Jam. […]

Michelle says:

Okay now it’s getting weird how on point you are with my life. Realized I’ve been buying tomatoes and given tomatoes (5 sources total) and wanted to try a random tomato jam. Went straight to your site for the second time today and scrolled down…. Starting the macerating!

sue says:

I noticed in the instructions you say to add “another tsp of salt” but I didn’t see where any had been added previously. Did I miss something?

That was my fancy way of saying that I was using another teaspoon because the previous ingredient had also been a teaspoon of something.

This looks delicious and I’d like to try it with mismatched tomatoes from my garden. I’d like to make it a little less-spicy though. OK if I leave out the cayenne?

Samantha says:

This was my first foray into “savory” jams and it was amazing!!! Got such a good response from my taste testers! I never knew I would even like something like this! Was awesome slathered in between a croissant 🙂

Michele says:

OMG this is delicious! Made a batch this morning and followed Marisa’s recipe with one slight change: substituted cider vinegar for the lemon juice. Wow it’s to die for! Got three half-pint hats plus 2 tablespoons of extre (the cook’s treat!).

Michele says:

Darn I hate those typo’s! So embarrassing….
    Got three half-pint JARS plus 2 tablespoons of EXTRA

Linda says:

Beautifully made tomato jam

Rachel says:

This will be a perfect use of the little garden tomatoes I’ve got on hand.

No reason I can’t use bottled lime juice instead of lemon, right?

Dorothea says:

Just had a chance to make this… delicious, thank you! The depth of flavor is beautiful with the three types of pepper!

Dorothea says:

I enjoyed it so much I made a Spanish omelet for dinner just so I could slather it with this tomato jam!

Kerri says:

This is AMAZING!!!! I’ve never even had tomato jam before, but love smoked paprika, and any sweet/savory combo. I used fresh sungolds, along with some tomatoes from the freezer. Followed recipe exactly. Only yielded (2) 1/2 pts..couldv’e been because I couldn’t quit tasting it!! Thawing more tomatoes to add to more fresh sungolds for another batch later this week!!

Kerri says:

Me again…I just realized I forgot the ginger…it’s still amazing!

Rodney says:

First tomato jam ever and it’s delicious! I made a double-batch the second time around but didn’t have any half-pint jars so I used pint-sized jelly jars and processed an extra 5 minutes. Do you think this is food-safe or should I refrigerate them?

Vern Herling says:

Figuring out what to do with 22 pounds of organic tomatoes before they go bad is always part of the fun of cooking and enjoying the awesome flavors of summer through the winter.

Sarah says:

I’ve made this twice in the past two weeks… The first batch was an experiment, but the second was a necessity because my family LOVES it! We haven’t put ketchup on a burger or hot dog since this was published, just spicy tomato jam. 🙂

Both times I’ve gotten 4-4oz jars and a fifth jar that was almost full… Using a mixture of tomatoes, including cherry and some heritage black tomatoes that I’ve been growing. Delicious! Had to comment to say thank you for what is one of our new favorite recipes!

jess says:

My personal favorite use for tomato jam is on a grilled cheese sandwich.

Nik says:

Excited to break up the process into two days.

When you macerate the tomatoes in sugar overnight-is it at room temp?

Ideally you macerate the tomatoes in the fridge. However, if you have no available fridge space, room temperature will do! That said, if it’s really hot in your home, leaving them out overnight could lead to a bit of fermentation, which is not ideal.

• Nik says:

Thanks for the quick reply. I made your tomato jam last fall and gave it to extended family as stocking stuffers for Christmas. It was such a hit, requests for repeat gifts have been rolling in for the past 8 months.

Rocha says:

Julie Wernert says:

Curious about using bottled lemon juice. Is that just for convenience or does it make a difference in the preservation process? Or, is fresh-squeezed okay? Looking forward to making this on the weekend…

Kim says:

I’m new to this blog and have to say I’m really enjoying all the tips & tricks … Thank you, Marisa, for taking the time !

After the quarts of spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, & tomato soup I’ve put up in the recent weeks, I had a small pile of toms ripening on my window sill that I couldn’t bear to waste after putting the garden to bed for the season. It was just the right amnt of fruit for this recipe. I maserated the the fruit in the morning before I went to work, and finished it up when I came home in the evening. This recipe gave me 4-1/2 pt jars from 2.5# of fruit. I’m looking forward to trying it on some burgers we will be having this weekend, & hubby says he’s going to try it on hashbrowns, too.

I have to add, tho, next time I’ll probably run it thru the food mill to get rid of the skins & the majority of seeds (most of the toms I used were late ripening heirlooms). It was nice to can a small amnt of produce w/o spending the entire day! ?

Beth says:

Could you make this (or your regular tomato jam recipe) with frozen OR previously canned tomatoes? I have several quart bags of frozen cherry tomatoes, and a few dozen quarts of roma’s canned, and thought it would be great to use some of those to try making jam while it’s still cold outside.

Tania Y. says:

Best tomato jam, EVER! I didn’t have cayenne, so I used chipotle powder, and it came out so delicious that I made a double batch the very next day! I brought a jar to work, and three people asked for the recipe. Small batch jams are so much easier. Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes. I’m sure they’ll be yummy!

Shelli says:

Just wondering if you could roast the tomatoes first?

Anita E says:

I just made this today! Oh heavens, yum! I like a milder spice, so I eliminated the cayenne, halved the red pepper flakes, and substituted hickory smoked salt for the salt. Delicious! Thanks Marissa!

Lauren E says:

I made this in October and refrigerated a couple of the jars that didn’t seal during processing, and haven’t opened them since. If there is no visible spoilage, are they still safe to eat? I’m relatively new to canning, and am unsure what the instructions “if the jars don’t seal properly, refrigerate and use immediately” mean. How immediate is immediately? Thanks!

[…] adapted this recipe from Food in Jars with these mods, based on what I had in my […]

Bria says:

Hi,

New to canning! I have a huge cherry tomato plant taking over my garden, so hoping to can some.

For this recipe, do you need to water bath can them or pressure can them?

Thanks!!!

Virginia says:

This is cooking on my stove right now and it smells amazing! I used 1.25 tsp of hot smoked paprika and omitted the cayenne. Also added a little liquid smoke. Can’t wait to taste the finished product. Also used mostly yellow tomatoes.

Alison Birkenfeld says:

OH WOW! YUMMY!!!! Made this recipe to the T, didn’t skip a beat. ALMOST added a little chopped Chipotle in adobo sauce instead of the smoked paprika BUT decided against it and stuck with the smoked paprika. WORTHY for sure!

Served so far on Grilled Sweet potatoes and it was divine. Also served on, seasame entertainment cracker, Roasted Pine nut Hummus, Tomato Jam and a thin slice of Sopressa spicy salami. YUM!

Waiting on another two lbs of tomatoes to become ripe so I can repeat this recipe!

Christina says:

Just made this today. My first foray into canning tomatoes. It is super spicy, but I think my husband is going to love it. Thanks for the recipe.

1. CSA Cooking: Smoky, Spicy, Skillet Tomato Jam | Proof Of Domestication - August 19, 2015

[…] CSA Cooking: Smoky, Spicy, Skillet Tomato Jam. […]