On Friday night, I found myself in a Jo-Ann craft store. In need of a hobby beyond staring at my computer, I’ve recently started knitting (with lots of help from Knit Camp) and so wanted to pick up a few more sets of needles. However, I never leave a store like that without checking to see what they have in their jar section.
Normally, it’s just a few smooth-sided jars for crafting, but in this particular store, there was a whole quarter aisle devoted to a thing they’re calling “Jar Jewelry.” There were decorative lids (designed to sit on top of regular lids), chalkboard labels, and other little bits. I found some of it kind of charming, but the sets were small and quite pricy. I’m curious what you guys think about the idea of jar jewelry?
- Mini tarts made in mason jar lids! Too cute!
- Speaking of baked goods made with preserves, how about a slice of coffee cake with a swirl of jam or a raspberry jam crostata.
- Three variation on a slow cooker pear butter.
- Still got a stash of last year’s salt-preserved lemons in the back of your fridge? Make hummus!
- Breakfast cookies. Just like a bowl of oatmeal, but so much more portable.
- If cookies aren’t your morning dish, what about savory cottage cheese muffins?
- Need some citrus inspiration? How about earl grey kumquat marmalade or white grapefruit and elderflower marmalade?
- Pomegranate ginger jam.
- On the boozy front, how about some beet or dill infused vodkas?
- Curious about Ball’s new Automatic Home Canning System? The Kitchn did a good piece on it recently.
- Finally, a longer piece from Heather Arndt Anderson on a 100-year-old jam factory strike in Portland, OR. It’s an interesting read!
Many thanks to everyone who took the time to enter last week’s GIR spatula giveaway and share an update on their 2014 so far. Our winner is #230/Claire who said, “We have spent much of 2014 working on kitchen reno designs – so, 2014 has been SO MUCH FUN!”
I’ll have another fun giveaway for you guys tomorrow that I think you’ll like. Stay tuned!