Preserves in Action: Jam-filled Pancakes

filled pancakes

Pancakes. For a website that supposed to be focusing on jars and the food that goes in them, I’ve sure spent a lot of time writing about the pancake over the years, haven’t I. Well, one more can’t hurt.

filling pancakes

Here’s my latest taken on the pancake. Heat and grease your skillet as usual. Portion your batter out, using a slightly lighter hand than you might otherwise. Keep the heat slightly lower, so that you have time to then dollop a spoonful of jam into the center of each pancake.

covered over jam

Then, carefully cover up that jam with another spoonful of batter. As you can see, you don’t have to be absolutely perfect as you do this, just do your best and don’t worry about those little slivers of jam still peeking through.

caramelized jam edges

As you can see, those areas of exposed jam will get caramelized during cooking and make for little pockets of deliciousness.

pancake with jam inside

And there it is. A nice, fluffy, wholegrain pancake filled with peach jam. Now, I must confess something right now. This technique is not my original brainwave. I spotted this clever idea on the blog Time Travel Kitchen earlier this week, when my internet friend and occasional Food in Jars guest blogger Melissa posted a link to a different recipe on that site.

Still, I think it’s an inspired way to incorporate preserves into pancakes and makes for a convenient to-go breakfast because with jam in the center, your sweet topping needs are taken care of.

19 Responses to Preserves in Action: Jam-filled Pancakes

Oooohhh – those look wonderful. I’ll have to try this the next time I make coconut flour pancakes. I’ve put warmed jam over Belgian waffles, and this will be a great addition to my repertoire.

Thanks for sharing.

-the redhead-

Tonya says:

Oh, that’s a fabulous combo, easy to do and easy to please. Thanks!

Oh my goodness, I can’t tell you how much I love delicious surprises in the middle of my food. This looks amazing. I can’t wait to try it!

Laurie Johnson says:

Yay! Jamcakes!

Not only is this pretty astoundingly brilliant, but it’s also finally within my reach: I just managed to make my first-ever non-disastrous batch of pancakes this week! The next step is obviously to jammify them.

Erin Schimpf says:

Oh wow what a great idea! I’ve just started canning and my 6 yr old daughter and I are making some jelly today. I can’t wait to try this with my jelly soon. Thanks for the amazing tip.

Olivia says:

Love this! Can’t wait to try it!

Michelle says:

I love this idea. I do the same thing with muffins, a dollop of jam in the center but pancakes might just be the next frontier….

That looks DELICIOUS! Looks like jam-filled pancakes are on our Sunday morning menu :)

Jacky says:

Love this, can’t wait to give it a try.

Rachel says:

That’s it, I’m putting jam in the very next batch of pancakes I make. What a great way to get those preserves out of the cupboard and onto something other than PB+J sandwiches!

Oh yes, I will definitely be making some of these!

kristieinbc says:

These remind me of the flat version of a Danish treat called Aebleskivers. Yummy!

Faythe says:

Jam-filled pancakes. That’s absolutely genius. I’ve got to try this.

Jana says:

Thanks! I’m glad you liked them. They are my new favorite thing.

Elle Cuisine says:

Love them!!!! (though I like your waffles at Food Network better though. :) )

LM

Sadie says:

We’ve always made pancakes with jam or jelly mixed in – instead of sugar (1-2 tbsp) for the entire batch.

Mix it in well but make sure to leave some lumps of jam so you can taste them at the end.

[…] have you ever heard of anything more delish?  I was all set to make the jam filled pancakes I saw here, but when I saw the nutella sitting in the pantry inspiration […]

[…] are often rolled around the filling. The easiest and most child-friendly option is to spread jam or fruit preserves on the pancake and finish by rolling it. For a dessert-like look, it can be topped with a dollop of whipped […]

1. A new year begins | The Green Dragonfly - January 1, 2012

2. Perfect Pancake Reviews 5 Tasty Pancake Fillings | Perfect Pancake Reviews - February 6, 2013