This recipe is part of my Secret Santa partnership with Newell Brands, makers of Ball® Fresh Preserving Products.
Split Pea and Barley Soup Mix
- 1 1/4 pounds yellow split peas
- 1 1/4 pounds green split peas
- 1 pound pearl barley
- 1/4 cup dehydrated minced onion
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Layer four 14 OZ. Ball® Sure Seal Bail Storage Jars with 4 ounces barley, 5 ounces yellow split peas, and 5 ounces green split peas.
- Measure the spices into a bowl and whisk them well to combine. Divide them evenly into four small zip top baggies. Close the baggies and tuck them into the top of the jar. Seal the jars.
- Directions to make split pea and barley soup. Remove the spice packet. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a soup pot. Dice 1 onion, 2 carrots, and 3 celery ribs and add them to the pot. Once they smell fragrant, add the split peas and barley. Add the spice packet and 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 40-45 minutes, until the barley plumps and the split peas soften (depending on the freshness of your peas and barley, you may need a splash more water). Taste and adjust seasoning to taste (a splash of lemon juice or red wine vinegar is always nice in soup). Serve chunky or puree smooth.