On Tuesday, I leave for a week on the road in Ohio and western Pennsylvania. I’ll be home for all of two days before heading out again for two weeks on the west coast. I’ve been obsessively making lists of things I need to take and details still needing to be tended (must arrange for someplace to stay in San Francisco!).
Of course, with all these tasks and to-dos swimming around, the thing that is most concerning me is that I’m probably going to miss Philadelphia’s sour cherry season (and possibly, apricots as well). I will simply remain hopeful that I’ll be able to get my hands on my two favorite stonefruits when I get back. Now, links!
- A good reminder that it’s the time of year to make chive blossom vinegar. What’s more, you can do the very same thing with any flowering herb. Sage blossoms are particularly nice.
- Cream scones with a generous dollop of apricot jam baked right in.
- I can never seem to find elderflowers, but I love seeing how other people use them to make cordials.
- Speaking of cordials, how about one made with strawberries and roses?
- These easy, spicy, lactofermented pickles speak to me.
- Everything you need to know about growing, harvesting, and preserving rhubarb.
- Satisfy your need for spicy with jalapeño jelly.
- Pretty pickled radishes.
- Smart trick! If you’re using rhubarb that has both red and green parts, but you want pretty preserves, cut them up by color and only use the rosy parts for jams and jellies.
- Homemade tahini. A brilliant trick provided you have a food processor.
- Gorgeous farmers market pictures from Camille/Wayward Spark.
I actually have couple giveaway updates! The first is that the winner of the MightyNest plastic-free produce packaging giveaway from two weeks ago is Emily Sausville!
The winner of the Pacific Merchants $100 gift card giveaway is Jodi M.! And if you didn’t win, don’t forget about the discount code! It’s good through June 16. Just type in “foodinjars15″ at check out for 15% off your order.
There will be more giveaway goodness soon, so stay tuned!