It’s been a really long time since I’ve had a normal week. The kind where I’m home for seven days straight, don’t have any huge extra projects on the horizon, and actually get to cook my way through my CSA share. Happily, this week is shaping up to be wonderfully normal and I couldn’t be more pleased. Now, links!
- If you’re awash in plums, do as Jenn does and make a boozy infusion.
- Spiced pickled figs. Sounds fairly transcendent, if you ask me.
- If you’re starting to move outside the box as far as jars and lids go, you much check this post from Fillmore Container, detailing how to choose a lid.
- Peanut butter granola bars. Good for school lunch boxes (and if your schools don’t allow nuts, swap in sunflower seed butter).
- Kevin West has been on a blogging roll lately. First, this peach-passionfruit jam and then this quince jelly.
- Flavor your homemade ice cream with jam!
- A useful reminder on how to best freeze your garden green beans.
- I know it’s not hip of me, but I can’t quite get into beet kvass. This blackberry version, on the other hand, sounds right up my alley.
- Still working on rounding out your summer tomato canning? Consider adding Kaela’s latest salsa to the docket.
- Shrinky-dink jar labels. Ridiculously cute.
- The muscadine and scuppernog grapes are in! Here’s one way to preserve them.
- Easy-peasy homemade grape juice concentrate.
- Finally, a recipe from the always-great Hank Shaw. Smoked, roasted, and preserved jalapeños.
The winner of the Roma by Weston Electric Tomato Strainer is commenter #248/Kara B. She said, “My favorite canning helper is my Presto 23 qt. pressure canner. I even just started using it for water bath processing. I’ve been doing my tomato batches with a strainer and a rubber spatula. I need this little gadget so much!!!” Well Kara, looks like you’re in luck!
I’m going to take this week off from giveaways (it’s been quite the summer of great canning gear, hasn’t it!), but I’ll be back with something terrific for you guys next Monday.