My husband turned 38 on Saturday, and so we spent most of the last three days celebrating in a very lovely, low-key way. I blew off doing any work on Friday and we went on a mission to find a new love seat (we bought one two years ago from Pottery Barn and it is falling to pieces. Most disappointing). The next day, I made a big dinner and Scott’s mom came over. We ate ourselves silly, watched a movie and then went on a late night adventure through the snowfall to Whole Foods. Sunday, we sat under blankets and binge-watched season three of Veronica Mars (it is my current obsession). It was a truly delightful weekend and I’m sad to see it end.
- More marmalade, this time with Sweeties, a grapefruit-pomelo hybrid.
- Buttermilk tangelo scones.
- Yeasted banana bread.
- Lemon caramel sauce (there’s a recipe like this one in Preserving by the Pint, as well).
- There’s no easily extracted summary line for this blog post, but it’s mostly about family, food, and homemade soup. You should read it.
- Brownies with swirls of strawberry jam.
- Bacon jam. I keep meaning to try making a batch of this stuff!
- Pickled pintos, corn, and poblanos (book mark this one for late next summer).
- How to reprocess jams and jellies, from an expert.
- On taking a freezer inventory (this would work equally well for a pantry of preserves).
As always, so many thanks to all of you who took the time to enter the Worker B giveaway last week. The winner is long time commenter, first time winner Tammy B. (#210). For all of you who didn’t win, don’t forget that the Rescue Putty is 20% off through the end of this month.