This recipe is part of my Secret Santa partnership with Newell Brands, makers of Ball® Fresh Preserving Products.
- 1 1/3 pounds pinto beans
- 1 1/3 pounds black beans
- 1 1/3 pounds kidney beans
- 2 pounds brown rice
- 1/2 cup dehydrated minced onions
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the beans. Layer four 38 OZ. Ball® Sure Seal Bail Storage Jars with 8 ounces brown rice and 1 pound 4 ounces of the mixed beans.
- Measure the spices into a bowl and whisk them well to combine. Divide them evenly into four small zip top baggies. Close the baggies and tuck them into the top of the jar. If the jars aren't entirely full, use some crumpled parchment paper to fill the empty space. Seal the jars.
- Directions to make triple bean and rice soup. Remove the spice packet. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup pot (go for at least 8 quarts). Dice 1 onion, 2 carrots, and 3 garlic cloves and add them to the pot. Once they smell fragrant, add the beans. Add the spice packet and 4 quarts of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 2-3 hours, until the beans are soft. In the last 45 minutes of cooking, add the rice. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips.