Hibiscus Concentrate Recipe

hibiscus flowers

When I was a kid, there was a small chain of healthy Mexican restaurants in the Pacific Northwest called Macheezmo Mouse (they’ve been closed for at least ten years, but I hear there’s a movement afoot to bring back the Mouse).

They served brown rice, black beans, and whole wheat tortillas long before anyone other fast casual restaurant was even considering the idea of adding whole grains to their menu. They had a location just a mile or so away from our house in NW Portland and so it was a regular stop for us on nights when my parents weren’t cooking.

hibiscus in a jar

The soda fountain at Macheezmo Mouse was a serve yourself situation, and in addition to the regular corporate offerings, they always had a drink available that they called Cactus Cooler. It was deep red, super tangy, quite sweet and I adored it.

measuring hibiscus

It wasn’t until years later than a friend served me a glass of iced and lightly sweetened hibiscus tea (also known as agua de Jamaica), did I realize that the Cactus Cooler of my youth was nothing more than an infusion of hibiscus flowers, made on a very large scale.

hibiscus and sugar

Recently, I picked up a bag of dried hibiscus flowers at an international grocery store. At first, I made large batches of hibiscus tea, but as so often happens to me, quickly ran out of space in my refrigerator for a two-quart jar of the stuff (I dream of having a larger fridge on a near-daily basis). So, I used my skills as a small batch maker and scaled down my hibiscus operation.

concentrate in a measuring cup

Instead of making an iced tea, I opted to make a concentrate. Each batch makes just two cups of deeply red, sweet, tangy liquid. I pour a tablespoon or two into either sparkling or flat water, and have even used a couple drops as a sweetener in a mug of hot herbal tea (it works gorgeously). It also is a nice addition to cocktails and I plan on making it a regular player in my warm weather kitchen. Hibiscus-ade for everyone!

hibiscus in soda water

Hibiscus naturally contains a goodly amount of acid (according to Wikipedia, it contains 15-30% organic acids). I’ve not done a pH test on this concentrate, but my sense is that it is probably high enough in acid to be safe for boiling water bath canning.

However, at the moment, I’m opting to make small batches that I can keep in the fridge and use relatively quickly. I do plan on giving it a pH test in the near future and will add canning instructions to this recipe if it passes muster.

Hibiscus Concentrate Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups filtered water

Instructions

1. Combine the ingredients in a saucepan and place over high heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
  2. Let the concentrate boil for 5 minutes.
  3. When time is up, remove pot from heat. Let the concentrate steep for an additional 10 minutes.
  4. Strain the concentrate into a jar or bottle. Let it cool until it is at room temperature, then refrigerate.
  5. The concentrate will keep 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

22 Responses to Hibiscus Concentrate Recipe

Julia says:

I loved that Cactus Cooler! And their ancho sauce? I think that was what it was. I really Macheezmo when I lived in PDX. And now I’m totally making this!!

Kelly Rose says:

I love Hibiscus tea, hot or iced! I add it to lemonade, and I often serve it hot with ginger syrup in it; it’s a great throat soother.

PepperReed says:

Oooh! Two of my faves in one! I make both of these (tho usually not at the same time), so I’ll have to put them together. Thanks for the idea tip!

ArtoriusRex says:

The two to three week lifespan might not work well in my house, but I could see filling an ice cube tray with the concentrate for long-term access to single servings.

Do you think it would store longer with some acid addition?

Alison says:

Hi, Marisa, my RSS reader is no longer picking up new entries for your blog. The last one that shows up is from April 25. I am using foodinjars.com/feed and have also tried http://feedpress.me/FIJ. The RSS link on your site actually leads to a page that asks for your email address to subscribe that way, so I’m not sure if I should be using some other address for the feed. I wonder if anyone else is having this happen or if it’s just me.

Dawn says:

I first became aware of the wonder of hibiscus in Egypt. After a long day of trekking around ruins, we were treated to a hot, sweet, ruby-red beverage called “karkady”. This is quite similar, although the karkady was so syrupy and sweet it was practically a concentrate itself. It was glorious. I found a recipe as soon as I got home and still make it from time to time. Thanks for the reminder!

I have a big bag of hibiscus flowers I bought at the farmer’s market. Love your idea of making the concentrate. My fridge often runs out of room too!

Holly says:

I had forgotten about Macheezo! That was in the days before I ate whole grain, and I it a bit weird. I would love it now. (Of course I’m now in Canada…). I remember the drink and may have to try this. :)

Lynne says:

oooh that sounds lovely. I wonder if that grows here….

mary w says:

If you happen to have a Mexican grocery store in your area that’s a great place to get dried hibiscus (Jamaica). Mine sells it in the bulk section for about $2.99 a pound – and a pound is a lot of dried hibiscus!

Jacqui Baiardo says:

My bag of hibiscus flowers was going begging until this morning when I read your fabulous idea! It’s still too early to try as a cocktail, but after I put in the last of my tomato plants, it will be the perfect refresher!

Misty says:

O.M.G.!! The Mouse!! I know what we will be drinking this summer! Thanks for the jolt of memory!

Mandy says:

I made this last week and my 3-year-old and I both love it. It was particularly refreshing after mowing the lawn. :) Thanks for the recipe!

[…] gotta check out this Hibiscus Concentrate recipe from Food In Jars. I love hibiscus tea and having something like this on hand during the summer […]

Missy2 says:

Wow Love Hibiscus tea ….the concentrate sounds amazing….you can also powder the hibiscus petals and blend into white buttercream frosting for an amazing and beautifully colored frosting for cupcakes….especially good for chocolate spicy cupcakes

Barbara says:

I’ve been watching Rick Bayless’ newest series which is centered around the cuisine of Oaxaca, and watched his daughter make a simple syrup Jamaica concentrate for another drink. I finally got to the new Mexican market in town and saw these flowers, but I didn’t know how much to buy, but I’m going back for at least a couple of cups worth to try. This sounds delicious, and I’m ready for something new since my SodaStream machine broke last week.

Are these specialty dried hibiscus or can I dry my own. I have quite a few perennial hibiscus in my garden.

1. The Monday Mix | Domestocrat - May 12, 2014