Honey-Sweetened Peach Vanilla Jam

one half pint of peach jam

A couple weeks back, I was on something of a peach tear (thanks to the folks at Sweet Preservation). I wrote about my Lazy Peach Preserves and my Honey-Sweetened Peach Chutney. I promised that I’d have one final peach jam for you and then I went and fell off the recipe map. However, I’m here to make good. Without further delay, my recipe for Honey-Sweetened Peach Vanilla Jam.

three half pints of peach jam

This is one of those preserves that has just a few ingredients and so depends on you getting the best-tasting players as you possibly can. Search out those super sweet end-of-season peaches. Find a light honey that won’t demand center stage. And please, please, use a real vanilla bean. I know they’re pricy at grocery stores and gourmet markets, but if you buy them online, they are quite affordable. Go in with a friend or two. The flavor just can’t compare.

Honey-Sweetened Peach Vanilla Jam

Yield: 4 half pint jars

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 pounds yellow peaches
  • 1 1/2 cups honey
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • zest of 1 lemon (optional)

Instructions

1. Prepare a boiling water bath canner and four half pint jars. Place lids in a small saucepan and bring to a bare simmer.
  2. Peel peaches and dice. Combine them with the honey in a medium bowl. Split open a vanilla bean and scrape out all the vanilla seeds with the blade of a paring knife. Add both the seeds and the split bean to the peaches and honey. Stir to combine.
  3. Let the peaches and honey sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes, so that the honey can help make the peaches juicy.
  4. When you're ready to cook, scrape the peaches, honey, and vanilla into a 4 quart Dutch oven. Place over high heat and cook, stirring regularly, until the peaches have broken down and it looks quite thick and jammy.
  5. Taste the jam and determine whether you think it could use the flavor balancing of the lemon zest (it will mellow it out if you feel it's too sweet). If you prefer it without the lemon zest, feel free to skip it.
  6. Remove the pan from the heat. Fish out the vanilla bean and set aside. Funnel jam into prepared jars. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes (don't start your timer until the pot returns to a boil).
  7. When the time is up, remove jars from the canner and place them on a folded kitchen towel to cool.
  8. When the jars are cool enough to handle (let them rest at last an hour or two), remove rings and test seals. Unsealed jars should be refrigerated and used promptly. Sealed jars are shelf stable for up to a year.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

, , , ,

17 Responses to Honey-Sweetened Peach Vanilla Jam

Bethany says:

My daughter is due on 9.18, and this whole pregnancy she’s been our “little Peach” ~ I’m so in the mood for anything at all containing those fleshy golden globes of goodness. I have a batch of peach butter bubbling away right this moment in the crock pot and a bunch of lovelies sliced and frozen for winter. I’ve made pies and crisps and eaten them dripping over the sink…I have the bottom of my third box awaiting a final recipe. This may just be it! Thanks, Marisa xx

Karen says:

Thank you!! Making this tomorrow morning!!

Sarah says:

Just starting to think of apple butter…..this sounds great too! Maybe my Christmas gifts this year will be a jar of each!

Deb says:

When I ordered my vanilla beans on line I also received some vanilla powder. It did not come with an equivalent to vanilla bean. Do you have any ideas what 1 bean would equal in powder? I would like to use the powder in this jam.

I’ve never used vanilla powder, so I have no idea. So sorry!

Pat Nelson says:

*3 Vanilla powder – The Cook’s Thesaurus is a bit hazy about whether to use 1/2 or 1 teaspoon ground vanilla, probably because vanilla powders from various sources are so different. Ground vanilla could be crusty old beans or grade A beauties, who knows.

A simple experiment provides some helpful info: an 8 inch vanilla bean reduced to about 2 teaspoons of pulver in a coffee grinder.

Cara says:

I just made the honey sweetened peach and lemon jam from last week! Heaven in a jar! I’m making this one next. Must get more peaches ASAP.

E. Conley says:

The amaretto peach jam I made for my mother in law, turned out so yummy I kept half the jars for myself..hehe It would have to be my 2nd favorite jam. Which surprised me Ive never really cared for peaches except for fresh. Making it yourself sure does wonders for any food

Monica says:

Does this need to be more acidic? I was under the impression that peaches sort of dance around the danger zone of acidity.

Monica says:

Also, would it be safe to reduce the amount of honey slightly? I have only a cup currently and am unable to purchase more.

Jess says:

So, I haven’t made a jam without pectin before. I waited for 220 degrees to come and it never did. I tried the freezer plate technique and it seemed to set softly. And the spoon left a soft set on the countertop. And then when I finally felt “good” about it… I ended up with 2.5 half pints instead of 4! That’s okay… right? Or is the knife going to bounce off the top? It tasted delicious, I threw the tiniest splash of bourbon in there. :)

Katie says:

Tried making this tonight but my peaches never broke down at all.

[…] post is inspired by a rash of questions I’ve gotten recently in regard to my recipe for Honey-Sweetened Peach Vanilla Jam. A number of you are concerned because while that recipe contents lemon zest, it doesn’t […]

Christina Wolf says:

I made this today, turned out great, except the color changed and it’s more brown than peach colored. What did I do wrong?

Brook says:

Hi! this looks amazing! Wondering if I can double the recipe and still be safe for canning? Thanks!

1. Canning 101: How to Determine When Additional Acidity is Necessary | Food in Jars - September 19, 2013