Five Ways To Preserve Small Tomatoes

cherry tomatoes from Little Acre Homestead

Last week, I monumentally lucked out. Heather and Steven from Little Acre Farmstead swapped me ten pounds of little tomatoes for an assortment of jam. I think it may well have been the best trade of my life. Admittedly, my bartering career is in its infancy. But still, I was tickled. Thing is, ten pounds of tiny tomatoes is a whole lot. So I had to get creative with my preservation techniques. Here’s what I did.

frozen tomatoes

I froze enough to fill two small cookie sheets. This is the easiest method I know. There’s no prep, you just fill the sheet, pop them into the freezer and leave until solid. Once they turn into tomato marbles, funnel them into jars or zip-top bags and return them to the freezer.

frozen tomatoes

They can be used in soups, stews, roasts and veggie scrambles. Someone also mentioned recently that preserving tomatoes like this makes them great for tomato cobbler (who was that? Remind me and I’ll link to you. It was Melissa from Bridgman Pottery! So pretty).

dehydrated tomatoes

Next up is dehydrated tomatoes. You do need some additional equipment here, but I plunked down the cash for a dehydrator couple of years ago and have yet to regret it (though it is something of a space hog).

In addition to tomatoes, I use mine for peaches, lemons, limes and the occasional batch of jerky. This is the one I have. I slice them in half, place them cut-side up and dehydrate at 135 degrees for 18-24 hours.

dehydrated tomatoes

I make these almost entirely so that I can make this zucchini noodle salad that Tea turned me on to a couple of years ago. They are also good for general snacking (like tomato candy!) and adding to things that have a bit of moisture (they do need to rehydrate a little once in food). You could also puree them into a tomato powder, should you ever need such a thing.

roasted grape tomatoes

Roasted tomatoes. We’ve already talked about this one recently. Still, they’re worth the reminder. Add a handful of unpeeled garlic cloves and some fresh thyme. Or a few slivers of onions and some rosemary. Oregano is also good. However you make them, you won’t be sad that you did.

tomato jam

Here’s another option that I’ve mentioned in the past. Tomato jam. I loved how these little grape tomatoes worked in this recipe. The seeds are a bit smaller, which makes for a really nice texture. And they’re already so sweet that if I use them again in this application, I might just reduce the sugar a bit to compensate. Also, it’s worth noting that this time around, my yield was just three pints as opposed to the four and a half I got last year.

blanching tomatoes

After I froze, dehydrated, roasted and jammed, I had about a pint of tomatoes left. Those became a small batch of refrigerator pickles. I actually took the time to slit, blanch (about 90 second dip in boiling water should do it) and peel all those teeny tomatoes so that they’d better absorb the brine. Luckily, when you’re working with just a single pint, it’s not too tedious.

pickled tomatoes

The brine was 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup filtered water, 2 teaspoons pickling salt, and 2 teaspoons sugar. I added tiny pinches (no more than an 1/8 of a teaspoon each) of mustard seeds, coriander seeds and red chili flakes to the jar, along with two juniper berries. Pour the brine over the tomatoes. Tap to remove bubbles and add a bit more brine. Keep in the fridge for at least 48 hours before eating.

Unfortunately, these are too fragile for boiling water bath storage. They will dissolve into nothing in the heat of the canning pot.

Now, how do you like to preserve tiny tomatoes?

, , , , , , , ,

142 Responses to Five Ways To Preserve Small Tomatoes

Frances Quigley says:

I need help…I am wanting to preserve a salsa that I make but I don’t know how. I do not use fresh tomatoes but Hunts canned tomatoes, fresh jalapenos, cilantro, onion and garlic. Would I make salsa like I normally would, put in in jars and do bath for about 25 minutes? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Tks

Keith says:

Absolutely, you can do it that way. But remember those tomatoes are heavily salted so skip any additional salt. Check the time though pints usually take 45 minutes to process. If you like your salsa a little thicker add some tomato paste.

Becky says:

I realize this is an old post, but just wanted to say that it is generally not a good idea to can your own salsa recipes. I didn’t notice any vinegar listed in this recipe and were it canned in a water bath it could become a breeding ground for botulism toxin.

Salsa recipes specifically for canning should be used if you want to preserve your salsa. They are tested to be sure that they are acidic enough to be safely preserved in a boiling water bath.

• aember says:

Thanks for pointing that out! So many canning errors on the internet & it’s not worth hurting your loved ones. One botulism case can mean months in the hospital. 🙁

• countrygirl75 says:

The beauty of old canning books handed down, you can properly waterbath ANY FRUIT OR VEGGIE! Great gramma, gramma, & mom never had pressure cookers & neither do I. Never has any family member dealt with botulism.

• Marisa says:

They were just very fortunate.

• canningmama says:

I agree there are many recipes out there that are poor for canning. But really people. Do some research. How many people die annually from home canned foods? According to the CDCs website:

In the United States, an average of 145 cases are reported each year.Of these, approximately 15% are foodborne, 65% are infant botulism, and 20% are wound. Adult intestinal colonization and iatrogenic botulism also occur, but rarely. Outbreaks of foodborne botulism involving two or more persons occur most years and are usually caused by home-canned foods. Most wound botulism cases are associated with black-tar heroin injection, especially in California.

If you do the math and assume all of the food cases are due to home canning that is about 22 people a year (probably less based on the above). That being said, the main reason I follow safe canning practices is because I don’t want all of my hard work to go to waste based on spoilage.

So please stop the hysterics with botulism. Botulism has to be present in your garden soil for it to be a threat.

• canningmama says:

The botulism hysterics is scaring people away from canning. You are more likely to die from cancer from BPA or other toxins found that is found in commercial canned products than you are from botulism.

• Sibso8 says:

tomato varieties have changed in the years since our grandma’s were canning. Because of that our tomatoes may be beefier and have much less acid natural to them. This is why you MUST pressure can tomatoes. I have heard only one case in which a person has died because of home canned food. I wonder if that one case would be welcome in my family or loved ones? How does the person who canned that jar feel knowing their Mother passed because she ate what they canned? Hard things to think of!

• Salka says:

Be careful with old canning recepies! The rules have changed in the past 10 years or so, what was considered safe in the old days doesn’t necessarily apply anymore.

• Terri says:

Canning has change. You can adapt and old recipe to a modern one. If you’re just canning tomatoes either with added water or no water added you put in a quart jar 2 TBSPs of store bought “Real Lemon Juice”, pint jars 1 TBSP of “Real Lemon Juice”. Do not use fresh lemons because the acidity is not enough.

Also your processing time is different for what altitude you are at. You can contact your State Extension Office, or local office for that information.

Doing Salsa you can substitute the vinegar with equal amount of “Real Lemon Juice” if you like.

• Verity Solomon says:

There actually IS vinegar in this recipe….

• Doreen says:

If it has lemon juice and vinegar (as my recipe does, it is fine. You need enough acid and a sealed jar so botulism can’t grow. BTW spores are always there. Only when they grow does it become a problem.

• me says:

You don’t need vinegar to can tomatoes, they have enough acidity on their own. I have canned them in boiling water bath for 30 years, no problems. If the veg you are canning doesn’t have enough acidity, you should use vinegar or pressure canner. m

• Marisa says:

Unfortunately, this is not true. Tomatoes are a bit too low in acid to be safely canned and so do require some additional acid in the form of bottled lemon juice or citric acid.

• Pat says:

Both my mother and grandmother used a pressure canner and that was at least 50 years ago…the “old ” canning books certainly recommended it.

• Mary Eaton says:

There is no need to pressure can tomatoes. Even the ball blue book recipes for tomatoes are water bath. Pressure can if you have added a lot of low acid veggies

Janie Groh says:

You are on the right track. I make home made salsa using fresh tomatoes, but I am sure that it what you suggested would work. I just checked my Ball Canning book, and it says combine all ingredients in large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil and the reduce the heat to a simmer, for 10 minutes.. Ladle the hot salsa into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust the 2 piece canning lids, and process 15 minutes.

• Cate says:

Janie, I just finished canning 5 pts of salsa from a canning recipe I got off the internet. I also checked my Ball Canning Book as I’m a newbie at canning. Even tho it was not Ball’s recipe, I did mix it all together, boiled and simmered it about 20-30 minutes to get it thickened and followed Ball’s directions for processing-except I went 30 minutes, not 15. This recipe has 1 1/2 cups of vinegar in it. Did I ruin it?

mary vassallo says:

have you tried cooking as usual & putting it in containers and freezing i do this in meal sizes

hope this helps

Robert says:

Pickled tomatoes, just exactly what I was looking for! I asked a Russian friend, because they pickle almost everything, but she couldn’t help me out. I think treating sweet small tomatoes like mustard fruits would be also a nice idea for preserving them.
    I like put a thin slice of garlic below the tomatoes while dehydrating, it adds a nice flavor. And I love thyme, so I usually lay out a bed of it and put the tomatoes on the thyme.
    For the tomato jam, try adding some raspberry puree (sieved to remove seeds), it emphasizes the fruity flavor of the tomato pretty well.

[…] 5 Ways to Preserve Small Tomatoes Baking & Cooking Substitutions for Gluten Free Creamy Penne Pasta Bake with Zucchini Beef and Black Bean Taco Bake […]

Fantastic post. I have 5 cherry and 3 yellow pear tomato plants that are filling every container in my fridge with little balls of happiness. We’ve already dried a bunch, but tomato jam is next on the list!

CarolAnn says:

Last year I had too many pear tomatoes so I made tomato juice out of them. During the long winter I had bright yellow tomato juice to start my day with. Yellow pear tomatoes make a sweet tasting juice.

Mrs.Pickles says:

I just found your site via preserving the harvest on facebook. I have been looking for ideas on what to do with my cherry tomatoes for the past week and then I read your post!! THANK YOU. Can’t wait to keep reading and see what other tips i can find 🙂

lynnann says:

Each year I do all of the above…plus…I have a steamer juicer that makes quick work of juicing these babies…then the pulp, skin and all, goes into my green tomato relish to add flavor. The juice is incredibly sweet and strong tomato flavor. I drink it hot, cold, and put it in soups all winter.

I have a garden center…and always have hundreds of a variety of cherry tomato plants left over…and plant them up in gallon containers so they end their lives with dignity…love and peace…lynnann

[…] to add a vibrant component to tickle the palate. The small tomatoes preserved in vinegar at Food in Jars inspired me to treat tomatoes as fruits and preserve them the same way as mustard fruits. Mustard […]

Kate says:

These are great ideas, definitely to be shared with my readers. Tomato jam is underused and underrated! Thanks for the tips!

Naomi says:

Thanks for the great tomato tips. The garden is exploding with cherry tomatoes right now. Can’t wait to roast some. Think I’ll make a foccacia bread to go with. Yum!

Kathryn says:

I have an overflow of yellow cherry tomatoes in the greenhouse, this year i am trying pickled tomatoes, using an old recipe for pickled eggs from my father in laws’ mother. (I also made a few ajustments, like adding homemade candied jalapenos for just a touch of sweet and spicy!)

Rachel says:

I have two sheets of yellow, purple, orange, and red tiny tomatoes in the oven right now! Toss with equal parts sugar and salt (about 2 tablespoons each per pound), olive oil, and dried oregano. Roast at 250 degrees for two hours, and serve warm over goat cheese and bread. Um…Yum. Freezes perfectly! Before serving, fill a one cup container and hide in the freezer. There is no such thing as “leftovers.”
    Thanks for giving me some more ideas! I’m pulling five-ten pounds a week out of my garden. 🙂

marisa says:

Mmm, sounds delicious!

Lorie says:

We have an explosion of cherry tomatoes that I didn’t want to blanch and peel to can and preserve. Your idea of roasting tomatoes and freezing them is just what I was looking for, sounds really delish. Thanks!

[…] vrac comme ça! Patience!). L’un de ces liens? Food in Jars, sur lequel j’ai dévoré un billet (en anglais) offrant cinq possibilités de transformation des minitomates. Les déshydrater, je connaissais; […]

[…] about making tomato sauce or relish involving complicated sterilisation rituals, I found this lovely website and a description of freezing small tomatoes. This sounds too good to be true! The homely side of […]

[…] but serviceable nonetheless), spread it with Cypress Grove Chevre and topped it all with the pickled grape tomatoes I made back in August (there are just a few left and I’ve been carefully rationing them). I didn’t have […]

Karen Lee says:

Any ideas for the hundreds of green cherry tomatoes that didn’t ripen in the extra short Portland, Oregon summer?

Sammi says:

Pickle them!!! Yummy little things to just pop in your mouth as a snack or on an antipasto tray. If they are a little larger, one can’t beat fried green tomatoes!

Cindy says:

Karen,

I know this comment is 3 years old, but I thought I would comment in case anyone else runs into it like I did 🙂

I also live in Oregon and have tons of tomatoes (cherry) that had to be picked while still green. I found that if I put them in a container in a window they ripen with no change in flavor from the ones that ripened on the vine. 🙂

Good luck,
      Cindy

• JamieInWyoming says:

I am so glad I’m not the only one coming to this thread late. Cindy, thanks for the info, I might end up with quite a few green cherry tomatoes soon.

JamieInWyoming

Maggie says:

I made a pint of pickled cherry tomatoes with my overload of very end of season fruit, and just ate a few on a cheese sandwich. They are heavenly! Thank you for posting the recipe; it is wonderful.

[…] more ideas, check out “Five Ways to Preserve Small Tomatoes” over at Food in Jars. Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this […]

Craig says:

I wish I’d found this site last week. After a hard frost earlier this week I spent an hour cleaning up the garden yesterday… must have picked up and tossed a full five-gallon pail of waste grape tomatoes…. from a single plant! I think that if I had gotten to them earlier I could have at least frozen them… I’d never thought of that before (although my mother’s recipe for tomato jam is a favorite, I haven’t made any for a couple of years).

Eris de Suzerain says:

Just wanted to add that lightly salting and dehydrating tomatoes that are subpar in taste really does the job to fix them up. I got a batch of on sale grocery store maters and even those tasted good done up as tomato chips.

[…] Five Ways To Preserve Small Tomatoes | Food in JarsAug 10, 2011 … Once they turn into tomato marbles, funnel them into jars or zip-top bags and return them to the freezer. frozen tomatoes. They can be used in … Comments Off […]

[…] about making tomato sauce or relish involving complicated sterilisation rituals, I found this lovely website and a description of freezing small tomatoes. This sounds too good to be true! The homely side of […]

emmycooks says:

My meager crop of tomatoes doesn’t leave me many to preserve, although I do love the idea of tomato pickles! Maybe I’ll try that when my kids grow up and I have time to peel a pint of tomatoes. 🙂 I do buy 40 lbs. of roma tomatoes to roast and freeze every fall, though, and I am so happy to have them all winter.

[…] pointed us toward Food in Jars’ roundup of ways to preserve small tomatoes — think freezing, dehydrating, pickling, and more — but what really caught our eye was […]

John says:

We received a food dehydrator as a gift a few years ago and run it from June through September almost continuously making mostly zucchini chips (super tasty) and dried cherry tomatoes. The dried tomatoes are a flavor boost for almost any soup, stew, chili, or casserole and are well appreciated year round.

[…] Five Ways to Preserve Small Tomatoes, Food in Jars Slow Roasted Tomatoes, Pinch My Salt Home made Tomato Paste, The Paupered Chef […]

[…] in on my favorite lady with 14 kids who is selling 25 lb boxes of heirloom tomatoes for $10;) Love this post with 5 ways to preserve small tomatoes (I already popped some in the freezer after the slaughter […]

[…] Five Ways to Preserve Small Tomatoes from Food in Jars Freezing Tomatoes from The Kitchn What To Do With 25 or 50 Pounds of Tomatoes from Mrs Wheelbarrow’s Kitchen How to Make and Store Sun Dried Tomatoes from Healthy Green Kitchen Peeling and Freezing Tomatoes from The Joy Kitchen August 23, 2012 leave a comment »   var addthis_config = { data_track_clickback: false } You Might Also Like… […]

Caity says:

I’ve used a couple of these recipes with some sun gold tomatoes from the garden (and we have tons more ripening!). The dried sun golds are like savory raisins! I’ve been snacking on them all day. I’m roasting some more of them in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic cloves and a bit of oregano. They will be frozen and eaten this winter when Portland’s rain and clouds make us pine for colorful food.

Kate H. says:

This post is how I found Food in Jars a year ago, and now I have a massive bowl of cherries, yellow pears, sungolds and juliettes to do something with. I found a recipe for pickled cherry tomatoes with rosemary, and then I’m going to dehydrate some and roast the rest.

[…] in season.) Wasn’t exactly the prettiest thing, but I hear it was delicious. I came across this post (via someone in blogland or pinterest, can’t remember who/where) and decided to make up some […]

Jane says:

I have water bathed pickled grape tomatoes. they held there form and came out great. I opened a jar and drained the juice off, put some olive oil on the tomatoes and the put a little of the juice back opn them and served them over vegi pasta and they were great. the trick to the tomatoes holding form is to poke a few holes in each tomato ( I used a hem pulled and the holes were not to deep and not to big) you can use a sewing needle if you want. I made pints of these and let me tell you I will not be doing it again real soon the hole poking is really time consuming. But it worked!!! the dI did them in the water bath for minutes. If anyone is interested I will post the recipe, please let me know. I am also on Face book quite often under ( teetee spurling). thank you all for all the good info!

Louise Peterson says:

Would you be so kind as to send me the recipe for pickled grape tomatoes and directions for water bath canning. I have so many tomatoes, I’m running out of space to keep them on my kitchen counter. Thanks, Louise

[…] and didn’t have any immediate plans for what to do with them. Drawing inspiration from one of my favorite sites, I cut them in half, sea-salted them, and tossed them in the oven. Oven-dried […]

Erin says:

I have a cheery tomatoe plant that every year grows to monsterous size and finally started to dehydrate them. What is the best way to can the dehydrated tomatoes? Should I still pack them in oil then seal them in the water bath or just toss them in the jar? I am new to canning so please excuse me if this is a silly question.

[…] season.) Wasn’t exactly the prettiest thing, but I hear it was delicious. I came across this post (via someone in blogland or pinterest, can’t remember who/where) and decided to make up some […]

Megan says:

I love the idea to roast/jam the tomatoes, but the links for the recipes are broken.

Oops, so sorry about that, Megan! Looks like we missed something in the transition to the new site. They should be fixed now!

[…] and use one for this salad (and add some Wayside Acres‘ GOAT FETA) and one or two to put up any of these diverse ways. Or make a small batch of tomato jam – with their skins and seeds, little tomatoes give the […]

[…] Food in Jars – Five Ways to Preserve Small Tomatoes […]

Kelly says:

Is it possible to can roasted tomatoes? Or must they be store long term through freezing?

You can roast your tomatoes for canning, but only if you do it without oil or additional ingredients like garlic or onions.

LadyDawn says:

When I was growing them I would put in 2 plants to get enough to can during the growing season. I would can between 12 & 24 1/2 pint jars of them for pizza toppings. I just loved them that way. I would also can about 50 to 60 jars of Romas and a couple jars of tomato juice with 1/2 the salt required. These went straight into the fridge after canning anyway.
    The tiny tomatoes that gave up their juice I used in my cooking along with the juice from canning Bell Peppers to add flavor to my spaghetti sauce. It is amazing the flavor of the juice that comes out of those tiny tomatoes and the skins and pulp make great toppings for my pizzas. So Tasty. Yum.
    LadyDawn

Kristal Morgan says:

I made the cherry tomato pickles. They were delicious!! But I was wondering how long do they last?

MsPulp says:

I’m going to make the tomato jam. Do I use fresh lime juice or from a bottle?

Kerri says:

I froze 1 bag of cherry tomatoes from my garden this year, after reading this article. I’ve just popped them into a crock-pot chili. I am so looking forward to having my garden tomatoes in December – thanks for sharing this tip!

Ann Albe says:

If you mix equal amounts water and tomato powder you get tomato paste. It can be a little chunky if the powder isn’t totally pulverized but is very tasty! And it’s the perfect thing when you only need a tablespoon or two of paste. I hate opening a whole can for that.

1. This Week’s Favorites - August 19, 2011

2. Steak Tartare & Bell Pepper Coulis, Mustard Tomato Dill, Oil | myBites - September 1, 2011

3. Can It! : Confessions of a Posh Mommy - September 19, 2011

[…] Tomatoes […]

4. Confiture épicée aux tomates | Les campagnonades - September 26, 2011

5. Is This a Glut? | urbanfeedstuff - October 19, 2011

6. Preserves in Action: Bagel with Goat Cheese and Pickled Grape Tomatoes | Food in Jars - October 21, 2011

7. Market Notes: Small Tomatoes « Seacoast Locavore - October 27, 2011

8. News from the Veggie Bin: February 16, 2012 « theveggiebin - February 15, 2012

[…] Five Ways to Preserve Grape Tomatoes […]