This recipe is part of my Secret Santa partnership with Newell Brands, makers of Ball® Fresh Preserving Products.
- 1 1/2 pounds red lentils
- 1 pound whole wheat orzo
- 1/4 cup dehydrated minced onions
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Divide the orzo into four equal portions and tuck each portion into a small sandwich bag or length of plastic wrap. Tuck the pasta packages into the bottoms of four 14 OZ. Ball® Sure Seal Bail Storage Jars.
- Layer 6 ounces of red lentils on top of each package of pasta.
- Measure the spices into a bowl and whisk them well to combine. Divide them evenly into four small zip top baggies. Close the baggies and tuck them into the top of the jar. Seal the jars.
- Directions to make red lentil and orzo soup. Remove the spice packet. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a soup pot. Dice 1 onion, 2 carrots, 3 celery ribs, and 1 fennel bulb and add them to the pot. Once they smell fragrant, add the red lentils. Add the spice packet and 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 40-45 minutes, until the lentils are soft. Add a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes and the orzo and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Stir in a bag of baby spinach and serve with garlic toast.