Meyer Lemon Syrup

row of meyer lemon syrup

I’ve been a little off my preserving game of late. My pantry is still full to bursting, so I haven’t had much in the way of motivation to make anything new (though truly, that’s never stopped me before). Add to the fact this is one of the least interesting times of the year for produce, and it’s been at least two weeks since I pulled my canning pot out of the cabinet.

small meyer lemons

Even my annual box of Meyer lemons from the Lemon Ladies failed to motivate me fully. I made jam and curd, but beyond that, I’ve been keeping the bulk of my lemons in my crisper drawer, waiting for inspiration.

spent meyer lemon rinds

Knowing that my busy season is coming, I finally turned my attention to those lemons today. As I pondered them, I realized that I was experiencing something akin to writer’s block, only with preserves. I put a lot of pressure on myself to come up with interesting and novel recipes, and those expectations were tangling me up but good.

meyer lemon vinegar

As soon as I understood what was going on, I decided to let myself entirely off the hook. I released my crazy expectations and spent a moment thinking about what I could make from those lemons that I would most use and enjoy. After about two seconds, I realized that was I most wanted was a batch of Meyer lemon syrup.

meyer lemon syrup

Think of this like lemonade concentrate. It’s tangy first, sweet second, and is one of my favorite things drizzled into a glass of iced sparkling water. Cathartic canning, at its best.

Also! Once all your lemons are juiced, gather up the peels, push them into a large jar, and cover them with white vinegar. Let them sit for awhile, until the vinegar is infused with the lemon essence. Use it for household cleaning.

Meyer Lemon Syrup

Yield: 4 half pint jars

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 pounds Meyer lemons
  • 2 cups sugar

Instructions

1. Prepare a boiling water bath canner and four half pint jars. Place lids in a small saucepan and bring to a low simmer.
  2. Juice the lemons and measure out 2 1/2 cups of juice. Pour it into a saucepan and add the sugar.
  3. Stir to combine, bring to a boil and simmer for two minutes.
  4. Funnel into the prepared jars, wipe rims, apply lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
  5. When time is up, remove jars from canner and let cool. Sealed jars are shelf stable for up to one year.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

29 Responses to Meyer Lemon Syrup

Thanks for sharing this. I never even thought of lemon syrup. I imagine it tastes really good with poppyseed muffins.

Jennifer says:

This is exactly what I’ve been wanting. Thanks!

ColleenB.~Texas says:

Oh, Yes! I love this. You’re an angel.
    Great syrup recipe and cleaning solution as well.
    Thank you.

Rebekah says:

Eww, I can’t bear sweet lemon things, but wanted to say that I am very excited by the email from Amazon that I got today that advised that your new book has been shipped and I’ll get it tomorrow!

Despite the amount of sugar in this recipe, it’s actually not aggressively sweet. That said, you know your tastes best, so it’s probably not the right recipe for you!

I hope you enjoy the new book!

Julie says:

Thanks for posting this! I got a big crate of Meyer Lemons too and I’ve made citrus bread, lemon curd, and several lemon based cocktails, but I still have a bunch of lemons left. This syrup sounds like a great idea!

Sarah says:

Yum-o! Thanks for sharing this….even the peel idea is wonderful :)

Donna Baker says:

I grow Meyer lemons and have made everything I can think of with them. I have never thought of a syrup and can’t wait to make this.

I’ve never heard of lemon syrup – but, I bet it’s delicious drizzled over vanilla bean ice cream! Thanks for the great idea.

I made some Meyer lemon syrup for the fridge, using the peel not the juice … never occurred to me you could can it!!!

Shameless plug for my own blog … a cocktail using this lovely syrup:

Marissa R. says:

I have been making my own syrups lately, too! I received a Sodastream for Christmas and all their syrups have Sucralose, which I am allergic to. So far, I have made Meyer lemon, clementine and ginger lime surups. Really fun, and the kids like it, too! I also used the zest to make Meyer lemon extract and clementine extract for baking.

Thanks for the inspiration!

efrompdx says:

I love all things lemon! I’ve made two batches of the honey sweetened Meyer lemon jam (planning on using part of the second batch for jam-filled bar cookies.) This sounds like another fantastic way to use lemons. I’m thinking that I might zest them before juicing and then put them in the vinegar… that lemony salt looked pretty good too… Yum!

Spring says:

Wow, from canner’s block to liquid sunshine – that should cheer you up!

Savanarola says:

OOo! Perfect for cocktails! Why have I never thought of this? Thank you for the recipe. :)

Tammy B. says:

I tried making meyer lemon jam last year and it didn’t set. I found posted somewhere that I should have added a bit of water. It was a happy accident because I’ve been using it in my home made greek yogurt. Yum!

Savanarola says:

Ok, made it! And it is wonderful. It is definitely not too sweet – it would make the ULTIMATE whiskey sour. Also makes wonderful Italian soda. It did foam up on me a ton and wanted to overflow at first – I’ve never figured out why some things do that and others don’t. I didn’t bother to can it, because I don’t think it’s going to last that long. :) Next batch I’m trying with a little cardamom!

Jennifer W says:

I have some naval oranges to use up, could I sub them for the lemons and still be able to can them? Would I need to reduce the sugar since they’re sweeter than lemons are?

amy says:

hmmmm I wonder if its not too late to get my hands on some meyer lemons

Elaine Tsai says:

Boy was this syrup easy to make. It tastes delicious. I’m going to put some in my yogurt. Thank you so much for the recipe. This, I’m going to make every year!

This is great, I can already think of many recipes I could add this too.

Mary Quinn says:

I would love to try canning in small batches! This would really fit my lifestyle.

Jarrett says:

It is so pretty! I can’t wait to try this! Wow! I have just started delving into canning and have so many ideas i want to try already. Is there a cheaper source to buy canning jars than just at the grocery store?

You can check local hardware stores and watch for sales, but canning jars are generally right around the same price no matter where you buy them. During the summer months, watch the circulars as jars typically go on sale.

Cynthia D. says:

Would regular lemons work with this recipe if I can’t find meyer lemons? Thanks!

Martine of Jam & Brew says:

I love this delicious Meyer Lemon syrup, and its very easy to make a few jars when you have a pound or so, no need to wait for a whole case shipment! I loved the tip about drying the peels, although I do enjoy steeping my juiced lemon halves in vodka, rather than vinegar, to make a tasty beverage, rather than a cleaning product!

[…] been pretty obsessed with this bubbly lemonade I’ve been making lately. I made this Meyer lemon syrup from Food in Jars a while back, and I’ve been making my way through it pretty exclusively by […]

Melissa says:

Hi Marisa, I’m just about to try your recipe for strawberry syrup from your first book. I’m just wondering if there would be any advantage/disadvantage to somehow using my juicer to juice the berries before mixing them with a bit of water. I was wondering if that might make the syrup end up a bit too cloudy. Any thoughts on this?

It’s totally fine to use a juicer. I just didn’t have one when I was writing the book, and so shared how I typically did it.

1. Blackberry & Lemon Cocktails - June 6, 2014