Lazy Peach Preserves

more lazy peach preserves

When I teach classes, I’m often asked about peeling fruit. I typically tell people that I always peel peaches and apples, but leave the skins on nearly everything else. However, it looks like I might have to revise that statement, because the preserve I’m about to tell you about includes unpeeled peaches. Shocking, I know.

This particular recipe came about when I became the proud owner of both 10 pounds of cherries and a half bushel of rapidly ripening, very sweet, yellow peaches about ten minutes before I was leaving town for 2 1/2 days.

peaches

Both boxes of fruit were courtesy of the¬†Washington State Fruit Commission, the folks behind the most fabulous website¬†Sweet Preservation. When I signed on to be a Canbassador again this year, I didn’t realize that it was going to converge with the cherry challenge. Still, I am not one to shirk a canning challenge and so, when I got back to town, I went to work.

I made eight half pints of peach chutney (more on that tomorrow). I cooked up a smallish batch of honey-sweetened peach vanilla jam (look for it on Thursday). And I made these unpeeled, but very delicious, peach preserves. I also ate a whole bunch of these peaches just plain and raw (good lord, were they amazing).

I washed four pounds of peaches well, doing my best to rub away most of the exterior fuzzy. Then, I cut them into wedges, covered the fruit with 1 1/2 cups of honey, added some thin ribbons of lemon zest, and stirred it all together. It sat for an hour or so, until everything was juicy. Then I scraped it into a pan, brought it to a boil, funneled the peaches into prepared pint jars and processed them for 20 minutes (I used the processing time recommended by the NCHFP for pints of peach halves and slices).

peach slices

It’s hard to tell from the picture of the jar up at the top of the post, but the peach slices are still quite distinct. My vision for these jars is that I’ll eat them with yogurt and granola or with oatmeal for breakfast later in the year. I often eat those same things with fresh, unpeeled peaches during the summer months and never mind the peels, so my guess is that I won’t mind them with the peels when they’re coming out of a jar. Here’s hoping that will prove to be true!

Though it seems kind of hard to believe, this is the fourth year that I’ve been one of the Washington State Fruit Commission’s Canbassador. Last year, I made Oven-Roasted Nectarine Butter and Luisa Weiss’s Spiced Plum Butter. The year before, it was Italian Plum Jam with Star Anise and Honey-Sweetened Apricot Lavender Butter. And if you go all the way back to that first year, I made Apricot-Blackberry Jam and Pickled Sweet Cherries. These boxes of fruit have led to some very good eating over the last few years.

Lazy Peach Preserves

Ingredients

• 4 pounds peaches
  • 1 1/4 cups honey
  • zest of 1 lemon, thinly sliced

Instructions

1. Wash peaches well to remove fuzz. Slice the peaches into 12 to 16 slices per peach. Place in a bowl.
  2. Pour honey over peach slices. Add lemon zest and stir to combine. Cover the bowl with a plate or some plastic wrap (to keep any bugs out) and let the fruit sit for about an hour until the juices start to run.
  3. When you're ready to cook, prepare a boiling water bath canner and 4 pint jars. Place lids in a small saucepan and bring to a bare simmer.
  4. Scrape the fruit into a large, non-reactive pan and bring to a boil, stirring regularly.
  5. Funnel fruit into the prepared jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Use a chopstick to remove any air bubbles.
  6. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath canner for 20 minutes.
  7. When time is up, remove jars from canner and let them cool on a folded kitchen towel.
  8. Once jars are cool enough to handle, remove rings and test seals. Sealed jars can be stored on the pantry shelf for up to one year. Unsealed jars should be refrigerated and and used promptly.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

45 Responses to Lazy Peach Preserves

Sue Fine says:

I have GOT to try this. Unfortunately, I have used up all of my peaches from my tree this year, But there is always next year. I assume you used a clover-type honey as not to overwhelm the taste of the peaches?
    PLEASE crack open a jar, and let us know how it turned out!!

Darlene says:

Man, I wish I had this a couple of weeks ago when my peaches were so ripe they fell apart when I peeled them. Next time!

Paola says:

Quick question – how do the peaches need to boil?

Lisa G. says:

Oh, this does sound wonderful, and not too scary. I’ve never done canning, but this I would try.

Stephanie says:

Last weekend, I worked my way through a bushel of peaches. The last thing on my preserving list was peach halves but by that time the semi-freestone peaches were so ripe they were full-on freestones! Since they were so ripe, I didn’t want to bruise them by peeling them. So I removed the stone but left them unpeeled. I found that most of the peels feel off by themselves during the heating and canning process, so I’m not worried. Much easier than blanching!

Howard says:

About the only drawback here is that peaches are said to be one of the most pesticide-intensive crops. I do admit to eating non-organic peaches with skins on, though. I guess it probably depends on how much of them one consumes.

Also, I grow peaches in my back yard and they are never sprayed. I have just cut up my peaches, skins and all, mashed them to make about 40% liquid, and packed them into freezer bags and frozen them. Later my wife will thaw them and make peach preserves. The skins actually add a lot… they actually get sort of “candied”, which is the only way that I can describe their texture. Honestly, those peach preserves are the best thing we have ever gotten from my garden. Everybody we have given jars to agrees: keep the skins.

This also applies to plum preserves! Wow, those skins…

shakti says:

i agree Howard.
      i also freeze bags of fruit, chopped and barely cooked. i stir into yoghurt, porridge, rice, spoon over a bit of cake or just have with a little cream all through the winter.
      i love to have so much fruit to have and it can flood, snow or whatever but the taste and those colours help me get through.

Carrie says:

This looks AMAZING. I am going to have to track some down and give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

I am so glad to know you don’t bother with peels! Neither do I! I believe that the peel contains a lot of nutrition and fiber that are lost when peeling. These look so good, off to the store to find some to can! Thanks for the tips.

Eileen says:

These peaches sound like the perfect thing to eat hot over a bowl of oatmeal in the dead of winter. Maybe with some yogurt? NOM.

Jeannette says:

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH just in time! I’ve been picking a 5gl. bucket nightly from our peach trees! Cannot wait to try this one.

It’s time for peaches! Yummy

Terry says:

What altitude are you at? Asking so I”ll know if I should adjust my processing time. Your recipe sounds great and I can’t wait to give it a try. BTW, I will probably throw in a tsp of lemon juice per jar. Love the brightness lemon adds and a little acid never hurts.

Terry, my processing times are always written for sea level. And throwing a little juice in is just fine!

Nancy says:

Would it be okay to reduce the amount of honey? Or to use part sugar, part honey? I’m not crazy about the flavor of honey in something like this.

Safety wise, it’s perfectly fine. I’ve not done it that way, so I can’t guarantee your success, but I think it should be fine.

Angela says:

I am so disappointed with my recent peach canning experience.

I processed a bushel of peaches, splitting the batch with the intent of doing all of them as a peach-vanilla-bourbon preserve that I found online. As I cooked them down and added the lime juice and sugar i tasted and thought it was soooooo delicious that I would leave one half as it was. I followed the recipe and added the pectin and cooked for the allocated time according to the recipe.

None of it set up. I almost cried. The lime peaches are delightful and the bourbon vanilla is not as fantastic as I had hoped. However, my brother and father were drenching vanilla ice cream with it and LOVED it. To each his own, I suppose.

So, what did I do wrong? How would I get the peach to set up??

Angela, when you make jam, you can’t just follow the recipe exactly after adding the pectin. You must always test for set, to ensure that your jam is actually going to set up. It may have needed more cooking in order to activate the pectin.

Anita says:

Hey Marisa, maybe this is a stupid question, but I make this ‘super’ lazy and throw all the ingredients into the unheated non reactive pan and let it sit there for an hour before boiling it? One less bowl to clean :)

Katie says:

I have been making peach honey butter with the skins still on. I coarsely chop 18 (or so) peaches, cook them down with a quarter cup of water until just soft. I puree them with a stick blender until super smooth and then add sugar and honey to taste (3/4 cup honey and 2 c. sugar for me!). Then I cook it down, down down until it’s a butter. DELICIOUS stirred into yogurt or spread on a hot biscuit!

Nancy says:

Katie – do you then can the peach butter (hot water bath) or do you just refrigerate it? Sounds delicious!

Jan Baker says:

Oh ho! Honey in preserves! NOW we’re talkin’ ! After three years of cane sugar, beet sugar, bags and bags of it, this is a whole new ballgame!

The peaches are luxuriating in the honey as I write…only one question- are those thinly sliced lemon peels
    enough acid for the batch, or am I thinking too much?

Also- can I use my copper preserve pan? It is reactive, but I acquired it at TJMaxx years ago for $30. and it has not let me down, but I’ve never used it with a jam with honey…

Thanks.

Jan, yellow peaches are high enough in acid that they can be canned without additional. However, you can always add a squeeze of lemon juice should you feel so moved. I wouldn’t cook this one in your copper preserving pan, though. There’s not enough sugar present to prevent a metallic flavor from leaching into the fruit.

Devan says:

Marisa, I recently discovered your blog and am enjoying it so much! I had just bought 5lb of peaches, determined to preserve them in some way and then saw this post. So I just made a batch of these and they turned out great! (The peaches kind of separated from the honey and floated to the top, but I assume that’s ok.) This is my second year of canning, so I’m getting more confident, but still appreciate simple recipes with detailed instructions! I am planning to make your tomato jam next. Thanks for the effort you put into the blog, it is definitely appreciated!

Goodness, you’re quick! That kind of separation is totally normal, so there’s nothing to worry about there! I’m delighted to hear that you’re enjoying the blog!

Jan says:

I made four pints of peaches in honey, and I am SOLD! I can just imagine this on just about anything in the deep of winter. I did not use my copper pan, used stainless steel instead, and everything worked like a charm. I had a little left over after filling the jars, put it in the fridge, and it received thumbs up all around. Thank you for another great recipe, and your quick response. The rest of the bushel are meeting up with some local honey tomorrow!

betsy says:

Thank you!! How timely–I’m just admiring the peaches going very ripe on the counter….and the ones slightly beyond very ripe in the fridge….wondering what to do! Your blot has such great ideas–it helps that we’re on the same growing season down here in Delaware…!!

Jeanne says:

Is there any substitute for the lemon zest or can it be left out and then some lemon juice added when boiling? I don’t have any lemons in the house right now and was hoping to do this without running out to the store. Thanks so much! This looks like a delicious recipe!

[…] Vegetable Samosas Lazy Peach Preserves Homemade Gnocci with Tomato Basil Sauce Raw Sweet Potato Salad Zucchini Tart with Crumbled Sausage […]

Noelle Rae says:

I made these today! Delicious!! But I was wondering if you could do these in quart containers instead of pints/half pints? If so how much more or a process time would it need? THANKS!

Kaja says:

Did you post the honey sweetened peach vanilla jam recipe yet? I bought another half bushel of peaches with it in mind.

Karen G. says:

I made this a couple days ago, and while it is beautiful in the jars, it didn’t really set up. I’m sure it will be fine in oatmeal or yogurt as is, but I’m wondering if I were to open the jars, boil it down some more, and re-can it, would that work? Any issues with double processing? Loved the small batch white peach honey jam, and your honey peach chutney too. Also made ketchup, basic tomato sauce and tomato chutney from your Food in Jars book last weekend. YUM. Oh, and the caramelized red onion relish. My daughter says I’m obsessed! Thank you!

Karen, this isn’t a product designed to set up. It’s not a jam. It’s more like peach slices preserved in a syrup.

Tasha says:

Hi Marisa,
    I wanted to thank you for this “recipe” and for your posts on peach butter and the peach chutney. I’ve learned so much from your blog. I wanted to let you know that I also mentioned your recipes and advice on my blog post today http://www.thelittlethingsmercantile.ca/blog/a-peachy-long-weekend/
    Thank you!

Rachel says:

I just cracked open a jar of these that were canned a few weeks back. (Just wanted to test them out) Oh my goodness!!!! Soooooo delicious. Looks like a good chunk of the two bushels of peaches waiting on me will be going toward more of these. Thanks so much for the superdelicious recipe.

krystal says:

Shoot. So, I made this recipe with one major exception: I forgot to boil the peaches! I rushed through and packed the honey soaked peaches, unheated, into jars and processed them. Are they beyond saving?
    Thanks!