I was in Portland with my parents, sister and nephew all last week and it was just about the best thing ever. The weather was beautiful, Emmett is cutest kid around (those curls!), and it was just so good to soak up time with these people I adore and don’t see nearly enough.
There was also plenty of good food, meals with friends, backyard blackberries, and couple of very fruitful thrift store outings. Truly, the only hitch in the whole trip is that instead of being at home now as planned, I’m stranded in a motel room in Chicago with no flight out until morning. Still, it seems a small price to pay for such a magical visit. Now, on to the links!
- Next time my CSA offers unlimited u-pick basil, I’m getting enough to make this jelly.
- Have you guys seen this? Homemade ice cream flavored and sweetened with jam.
- A reminder that watermelon pickles are awesome and you should make some soon.
- Skip the jelly and make grape jam instead!
- Comparing frozen green beans to pressure canned ones.
- How to tell whether the lids you’re buying are the new BPA-free ones or not.
- Fermented ketchup. Dip your fries probiotic-style.
- Maple bourbon peach butter. As my dad would say, sign me up!
- Cherry preserves with plums, adapted from Saving the Season.
- Towards the end of this post, Julia explains her approach to making drunken apricots and apricot liqueur. Oh yes.
- Even though I’m not really a paleo eater, I sure do like the sound of these chocolate nut date bars.
Thanks to everyone who entered the Pie Box Kit giveaway. The winner is Sharon, who said that her favorite thing about pie is, “Eating the flaky layers of crust, with the wonders of the great tasting fillings!”
If you didn’t win the giveaway, MightyNest is offering all Food in Jars readers 10% off on the Pie Box and the serving kit. Just enter FOOD10 at check out (and if you spend $50 or more, you get free shipping too).