Pickled Baby Pattypan Squash

pickled pattypans

You might recognize this picture. I included it in my vacation post on Monday. Several people wrote in, hoping that I might post the recipe. I’m happy to do so, though I must confess that it’s barely a recipe at all.

I have a basic formula I follow for quick, refrigerator-type pickles like this. It’s one cup vinegar (any 5% acidity vinegar will do), one cup water and one tablespoon pickling salt (sea salt is also fine). This is typically enough for a quart of pickles, which a little bit leftover. It can be expanded or contracted as needed.

fresh baby pattypans

Spices can be anything you like. For this particular batch of pickles, I used a generous tablespoon of pickling spice. Depending on what you’re pickling, you can add garlic, peppercorns, red chili flakes, dill seed, mustard seed, etc.

After you pour the brine over the veg, place a lid on the jar and let is sit on the counter until it’s cool. Once it’s returned to room temperature, pop the jar into the fridge and let it sit for at least 48 hours before proceeding to munch.

19 Responses to Pickled Baby Pattypan Squash

Sherri B. says:

I have never seen those pickled, what a good idea. Wouldn’t they be great on a relish tray with the olives, baby pickles, etc….. Thanks for sharing this!

Bonnie says:

These are about the cutest pickles I have ever seen. I grow patty pan squash but never thought to pickle them. Thanks for sharing.

Angela Watts says:

They are so absolutely adorable…

Patricia says:

These are so cute. I hope you let some of those pattypans grow up. They are incredibly delicious when stuffed and baked!!! I use the squash I scoop out, plus herbed bread stuffing and bulk sausage or just cooked hamburger. Sooo… good.

marisa says:

Patricia, I bought them like this at Lancaster’s Central Market. I hear you on the pattypan love though. My parents always grow them in their garden and I grew up eating them lightly steamed, with butter and salt. So good.

Ivriniel says:

I marinate them in olive oil with garlic scapes and other herbs and then grill them on the BBQ. Mr. Ivriniel isn’t big on vegetables, but he likes these.

Allison says:

These darn baby pattypans are so cute! I want to grow them just to have them :) I have never even tasted one before!

Stephanie says:

freaking genius! yummy!

Rebecca says:

Great site!
    I’m planning on doing some fridge pickled beets this weekend- any recommendations on par-boiling them (should I and if so, for how long?) and what kind of spices would work well? Thanks very much for the advice!!!

Chrystal says:

I made a similar pickle using the Persian Tarragon pickle recipe from “Canning for a New Generation.” I have high hopes for tasting them on 9/12.

And here I thought I’d had an original idea!

annette coble says:

could you slice the bigger pattypan squash and pickle them?

50decs says:

Wonderful idea – I have so many on my allotment in the UK I can’t keep up with eating them and giving them to friends, so this is great idea. Do you just use the patty pans raw or do you need to blanch them before pickling at all? Thanks.

[...] in there from August? This is the moment. I had these beautiful pickled baby squash inspired by Marisa, and they were perfect. You can also make a quick carrot or daikon pickle- this one would be nice [...]

Do you have a suggestion for making a cupboard long store version? I would love to be able to have these year round. I grow zillions of pattypan every year.

Pack ‘em in pint jars and process in a BWB for ten minutes. You can really treat them just like a dilly bean or other preserved pickle.

[...] Stuffed Pattypan Squash | Oh She Glows Thai Red Curry Shrimp with Pattypan | Food for My Family Pickled Baby Pattypan | Food in Jars Roasted Pattypan Sqash with Herbed Chickpeas | Chocolate and Zucchini Baby Zucchini [...]

Jaimie says:

I like the idea of pickling Baby Pattypan, or Pattypan if I can’t find their adorable babies!

1. sisig | Eating From the Ground Up - December 10, 2011