I landed in Philadelphia right around 12 noon on Tuesday afternoon. It was almost exactly two weeks to the minute since I’d left and while the book tour was gloriously fun, returning home is always the best thing of all.
I’ve spent the last day and a half reacquainting myself with home, unpacking bags and folding laundry. I also have done quite a lot of cooking in the last 48 hours. I made a goodly amount of jam and pickles while on the road and helped assemble a meal or two in the company of friends, but there was little true cooking and I missed it.
And so, I’ve made several rounds of breakfast eggs. I roasted every sad bit of vegetable in the fridge and made soup for dinner last night. I prepped a batch of whole wheat chocolate chip cookie dough for the freezer (we bake them a couple at a time in the toaster oven as an after dinner treat). And I peeled two wrinkly tomatoes that I’d left to ripen several weeks ago and made a little batch of salsa.
For lunch today, I toasted a couple of corn tortillas and folded into them black beans, cheese, avocado, sour cream, and generous scoops of the salsa. If a batch of spring salsa sounds good to you (Cinco de Mayo is Monday, after all), the batch I made is essentially the same as this one, only with shallots in place of the onions, and some red chili flakes instead of jalapeño (we didn’t have any). Remember, homemade salsa always tastes better if you make it at least an hour or two before you plan on serving it.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Just because I’m home doesn’t mean that the book tour is over. Truly, things are only just picking up. Here’s where I’ll be over the course of the week and a half!
- May 3 – Philadelphia: Demo and book signing at Fante’s Kitchen Shop, 1-3 pm.
- May 4 – Philadelphia: Tasting and book signing at Headhouse Square Farmers Market, 10 am – 2 pm.
- May 6 – Broomall, PA: Demo and book signing at the Marple Township Library, 7:30-9 pm.
- May 10 – Philadelphia: Demo and book signing at Greensgrow, 10 am – 1 pm. Demo and book signing at Occasionette, 5-8 pm.
- May 13 – Manhattan: Strawberry jam class at The Brooklyn Kitchen’s Manhattan location. 6:30-8:30 pm. $65.