We are smack dab in the middle of one of my favorite times of the year. I love this pocket of late fall days, when the weather is crisp, but not bone-chilling and the farmers markets are full of hearty greens and heads of cabbage. I appreciate the changing light and the earlier evenings. And I thrilled to be able to bring my basket of scarves back into rotation.
This last week was one of recovery for me. After four weeks straight of weekend classes and travel, I finally got to hunker down a little and commune with my couch. I didn’t get a whole lot accomplished, but I’m okay with that (not every week can be about forward momentum. Sometimes you need to stand still for a bit). Happily, I’m now ready to tackle the to-do list and slay the email dragon. Now, links!
- Janet from A Raisin and Porpoise has been on an apple roll lately. First, she talks applesauce, apple barbecue sauce, and pulled chicken as a vehicle for said sauce and then she goes and shares her technique for apple butter (which sounds positively genius).
- Over on Local Kitchen, Kaela has made a batch of jam and almond crumb bars that use an entire half pint of jam. I know what I’m taking to my next potluck.
- Honey sweetened hardy kiwi jam. What a great color they have during cooking!
- Give your cranberry sauce extra zinginess with hibiscus.
- These fave dolci cookies are made with a dimple in the center. I can’t help but imagine dressing them up with a little droplet of jam.
- If you have a stash of rhubarb tucked into your freezer, pull some out and make this grapefruit and rhubarb marmalade.
- I have a tiny bag of elderberries in my freezer that have been waiting for ages for a suitable application. I think I may take a cue from Julia and steep them in apple cider vinegar for a simple tonic.
- More tips on how to tell if you have some of Ball’s new BPA-free lids.
- Rebecca from Cakewalk reflects on this year’s preserving.
- And best for last, a link to a story about me and why I put food into jars.
Now for the fun stuff! Winners in the Hamilton Beach SaladXpress giveaway. Here are the eight lucky folks who are going to get one of these handy food processors to use in their own kitchens!
- #42 – Tina
- #132 – Rosemeri
- #397 – Brandon
- #432 – Sandy Hines
- #510 – Laurel Nguyen
- #549 – Missy
- #628 – Tim
- #775 – Savanarola
Congratulations to all the winners! Stay tuned, this week’s giveaway will be appearing on Wednesday instead of Monday.