2017 Classes and Events
- August 7 (anywhere!) – Live online canning demonstration on facebook.com/foodinjars. 9-10 pm eastern time. Free!
- August 8 (Glen Mills, PA) – Join me for a small batch jam making workshop at the Rachel Kohl Community Library. 6-7:30 pm. Free.
- August 10 (Sewell, NJ) – You’ll find me at the Margaret E. Heggan Free Public Library for a pickle making workshop. 7-8:30 pm. Free.
- August 12 (Arundel, Maine) – I’ll be at Frinklepod Farm for a four-hour, hands-on canning workshop at Frinklepod Farms. Participants will peel, chop, stir, pack, and can 3-4 delicious batches of jams, pickles, and chutneys. This empowering and fun workshop is appropriate for both beginners and experienced canners alike and all participants will go home with jars of preserves made in class. More details and registration information here.
- August 14 (Mullica Hill, NJ) – I’ll be at Gloucester County Library’s Mullica Hill Branch for free pickling workshop. We’ll start promptly at 6:30 pm and everyone will make a small jar of pickles to take home. Pre-registration is required.
- August 19 (Lancaster County) – Salsa making and canning workshop at Fillmore Container. I’ll teach you how to safely and deliciously can all manner of tomato products. $35. 10 am to 12 noon. Register here.
- August 21 (anywhere!) – Live online canning demonstration on facebook.com/foodinjars. 9-10 pm eastern time. Free!
- September 3 (Chester County) – I’ll be offering a canning demonstration as part of the Philadelphia and Chester County Cheese Journey. You can find more information here.
- September 5 (anywhere!) – Live online canning demonstration on facebook.com/foodinjars. 9-10 pm eastern time. Free!
- September 8-10 (Rhinebeck, NY) – This is my annual workshop at the Omega Institute in the Hudson Valley. In this three-day, collaborative, hands-on workshop, we’ll make between 10 and 12 different preserves (and you’ll take home at least one jar of everything we make). It’s such a fun weekend and I hope some of you will join me! More details and registration info here.
- September 16 (Washington, DC) – I’ll be teaching a pair of classes at the United States Botanic Garden. The morning session is Low Sugar Jam Making (10:30 am to 12:30 noon) and the focus of the afternoon session (1:30 to 3:30) is Garden Salsa. These classes are free and registration is first come, first serve (class is limited to 20 participants). All participants will go home with a small jar of the preserve made in the class.
- September 18 (anywhere!) – Live online canning demonstration on facebook.com/foodinjars. 9-10 pm eastern time. Free!
- September 27 (Haddonfield, NJ) – Canning demo at the Haddonfield Public Library (topic to be determined). 6:30-8 pm. Free.
- October 2 (anywhere!) – Live online canning demonstration on facebook.com/foodinjars. 9-10 pm eastern time. Free!
- October 21 (Chestnut Hill) – Introduction to canning workshop at the Morris Arboretum. This is a hands on session, in which we’ll use a basic ratio to build a batch of jam and then process it in a water bath canner for shelf stability. Everyone will go home with a jar of jam. 10 am to 12 noon. $40/45. Register here.
Public Demos and Workshops
I am available to teach canning demos at libraries, festivals, and other public events. Fees for those services vary. I am currently booking dates for all of 2017. If you’re interested in booking me for an event, please drop me a note at email@example.com for more information or to inquire about pricing and availability.
Opportunities for private classes are occasionally available within the Philadelphia region. Please contact me for pricing and availability.