2017 Classes and Events
These are all the classes I currently have on my calendar as of April 25, 2017. I am still working on my building my summer season and so will be updating this page as I add more events. Please check back regularly!
- May 11 (Haddon Township) – Join me for a honey sweetened strawberry jam making demo at the Haddon Township Library. 6:30-8 pm.
- June 11 (Hillsdale, NY) – Two classes at Hillsdale General Store Home Chef.
- 11 am to 1:30 pm – An introductory canning class! We’ll make strawberry preserves and strawberry chutney and will dig into the details of boiling water bath canning. $55. Register here.
- 2:30-4:30 pm – Pressure canning! Join me for an in-depth pressure canning workshop. We’ll make onion jam with rosemary and balsamic vinegar and will safely can it in a pressure canner. $75. Register here.
- June 17 (Philadelphia) – Pickling workshop at Greensgrow Farm in Kensington. 12-2 pm. $35. Details and registration info here.
- June 20 (Philadelphia) – LOCAL MOUTHFUL CLASS! Improvisational salad making at the Culinary Literacy Center of the Free Library of Philadelphia. 6-8 pm. $15. Register here.
- July 10 (Exeter, PA) – Join me for a quick pickle demonstration at the Exeter Community Library. I’ll show you how to make speedy work of your seasonal produce and will come with some finished pickles for tasting. 6:30-8 pm. Free.
- July 15 (Lancaster County) – Come pickle with me at Fillmore Container in Lancaster County, PA. In this workshop, we’ll make pickles and preserve them via the low temperature pasteurization method. $35. 10 am to 12 noon. Click here to register.
- August 12 (Arundel, Maine) – I’ll be at Frinklepod Farm for a four-hour, hands-on canning workshop at Frinklepod Farms. Participants will peel, chop, stir, pack, and can 3-4 delicious batches of jams, pickles, and chutneys. This empowering and fun workshop is appropriate for both beginners and experienced canners alike and all participants will go home with jars of preserves made in class. Registration details to come.
- August 14 (Mullica Hill, NJ) – I’ll be at Gloucester County Library’s Mullica Hill Branch for free pickling demo. We’ll start promptly at 6:30 pm and will be finished no later than 8:00 pm. I’ll talk about summer pickling, will bring some pickles for sampling, and will have books to sell and sign.
- August 19 (Lancaster County) – Tomato canning workshop at Fillmore Container. More details to come.
- September 8-10 (Rhinebeck, NY) – This is my annual workshop at the Omega Institute in the Hudson Valley. In this three-day, collaborative, hands-on workshop, we’ll make between 10 and 12 different preserves (and you’ll take home at least one jar of everything we make). It’s such a fun weekend and I hope some of you will join me! More details and registration info here.
- September 16 (Washington, DC) – I’ll be teaching a pair of classes at the United States Botanic Garden. The morning session is Low Sugar Jam Making (10:30 am to 12:30 noon) and the focus of the afternoon session (1:30 to 3:30) is Garden Salsa. These classes are free and registration is first come, first serve (class is limited to 20 participants). All participants will go home with a small jar of the preserve made in the class.
- September 27 (Haddonfield, NJ) – Canning demo at the Haddonfield Public Library (topic to be determined). 6:30-8 pm. Free.
- October 21 (Chestnut Hill) – Introduction to canning workshop at the Morris Arboretum. This is a hands on session, in which we’ll use a basic ratio to build a batch of jam and then process it in a water bath canner for shelf stability. Everyone will go home with a jar of jam. 10 am to 12 noon. $40/45. Register here.
Public Demos and Workshops
I am available to teach canning demos at libraries, festivals, and other public events. Fees for those services vary. I am currently booking dates for all of 2017. If you’re interested in booking me for an event, please drop me a note at email@example.com for more information or to inquire about pricing and availability.
Opportunities for private classes are occasionally available within the Philadelphia region. Please contact me for pricing and availability.