Canning Class with the Swarthmore Co-op

class image revised

It has been a very quiet January around these parts, but I’m slowly starting to come out of my hibernation to teach a few classes. I have one next week that I thought you Philly-area folks might like to know about!

On Thursday, February 4, from 7-8:30 pm, I’ll be teaching a demonstration-style class at the Swarthmore Presbyterian Church. The class is being put on by the nice folks at the Swarthmore Co-op and costs $25. I’ll show everyone who attends how make a batch of honey-sweetened pear vanilla jam using Pomona’s Pectin. We’ll go through the canning process and I’ll answer every question that I can.

At the end of the class we’ll dig into the warm jam, and I’ll have some copies of my first two books for sale and signature.¬†Registration information at the bottom of this page.

Speaking of classes and events! I’m starting to put my book tour schedule together for the spring and summer. I’m trying to keep things a bit saner than last time (I did more than 110 events with Preserving by the Pint, which was too much). That said, I am still taking suggestions for cities and venues to potentially add to my tour.¬†Please let me know if you have good ideas for me for book stores, kitchenwares stores, libraries or other venues that you think would be good for me to consider as I plan out my travel.

13 Responses to Canning Class with the Swarthmore Co-op

Becky says:

I’d love to see you come back through Charlottesville, but if we don’t make the cut, I get it.

Megan says:

Central PA (Penn State area) would love to see you! We have a healthy farmer’s market/homesteading culture going on here.

Cheryl says:

Denver, Colorado

For any sort of canning demonstrations, you could do something at Natural Grocers in Denver, Co at 2053 S Colorado Blvd, Denver, CO 80222 Phone:(303) 756-8400. They have a class set up complete with kitchen.

Or for signing books, there is the Tattered Cover and there are several locations.

Contact Us

Colfax Avenue Store: 303-322-7727; FAX 303-399-2279
    Historic LoDo Store: 303-436-1070; FAX 303-470-7047
    Aspen Grove Store: 303-470-7050; FAX 303-470-7047
    Toll Free: 1-800-833-9327
    Mailing Address: 2526 E. Colfax Ave., Denver, CO 80206

Laurie says:

Hope you will investigate the new Boston Public Market, which has a test/instructional kitchen attached to it. Hope to see you there!!!

mignyc says:

Do you come to NYC? I have contacts all over the place – from food shops to food co-ops to bookstores to industrial spaces that host all kinds of pay-as-you-go culinary events – but I don’t want to start knocking on doors if you’re disinclined to come this way.

Louise says:

You should come to sunny Florida. Ormond Beach Library has so many classes and hosts many speakers. They even had a seed library for its gardening members. Every Thursday, there is a farmers market right outside the from door of the library. What a great way to learn to put up the food that the seed library provided. I’ve checked out both books and have reserved Preserving by the Pint once again.

To plant a garden is to believe in the future

Alison says:

Baltimore independent bookstore: They collaborate frequently with the Pratt Library for author events. The annual book festival can handle cooking demonstrations: