Preserving by the Pint Typos

pizza sauce picture

One of the inevitable things about writing a book is that no matter how hard you work at making it perfect, there will still be a mistake or two in it when the manuscript goes to print. It happened with Food in Jars (you can find the errata page for FiJ here) and it has happened again with Preserving by the Pint.

At my book events I’ve been hand-correcting every book I sign, but I realize that not all of you are going to make it out to a class or demo. So in order to make the corrections accessible to everyone, I’ve created an errata page so that all the errors and fixes are in a central place.

If you’ve spotted an error or typo in the book that you don’t see listed here, please drop me a line so that I can add it to the list and make sure that it gets corrected in a future printing.

13 Responses to Preserving by the Pint Typos

Mandy says:

As a book editor, I totally get it! A manuscript and laid-out files go through so many hands that sometimes, despite best efforts, things just happen. Thanks for getting the correct info out. And hand-correcting the books is commendable–that’s a lot of work. :)

Patti says:

I’m so happy to see the errata page. I thought I was going nuts when I read the bit about the gas stove last night. :)

Patti says:

I should probably mention that I was reading the Nook version which I downloaded about a month ago. I mean … who doesn’t read cookbooks before bedtime?

jackie barbour says:

my copy of fij seems to have all errata already corrected-but I did go through preserving by the pint and penciled in the corrections. Thanks!

Anita L. says:

Thanks for providing us with these corrections. Love your books!

iris says:

Yes, you hand-corrected the errors in my PbtP, it was very sweet…and very handy ;)

Jessica says:

One question about the Caramelized meyer lemon syrup. The correction says to cook it until 250 F in the initial stages. After adding the lemon juice and stirring until smooth the recipe says to return to the heat and continue to cook until it reaches 218 F. Is the 218F temperature correct? Or is it supposed to be something different as well?

Karen says:

Marissa, is the champagne vinegar brine supposed to completely cover the strawberries in the quick pickled strawberries recipe? I’m assuming it does.the volume measurements only filled about half my quart jar, so I doubled the brine for the jar.

What typically happens is that the strawberries wilt into the brine. Even if it doesn’t cover them immediately, they’ll soften and release their juices to the point where they’re eventually covered.

Jessica says:

I made the strawberry sweetened honey jam this weekend! I was so relieved to see you posted this practically hours before I searched : ) thank you for the delicious inspiration.

Wendy says:

I wanted to know what is a dry quart of tomatoes? I just got a bunch of tomatoes in from my garden and wanted to make pizza sauce from your book; but I came across that dry quart thing and got confused? Could you tell me what it is.

A dry quart is simply a what a quart container (like the ones you get at the farmers market) will hold.