Pictures from the Pennsylvania Farm Show

crowds

After years spent meaning to go to the Pennsylvania Farm Show, I got to spend two whole days there earlier this week. In between my canning demos and book signings, Scott and I wandered around the show. We ate a vast array of fried foods, gawked at the rows of cattle, and admired the chickens, rabbits, and ducks. The photos below are just some of the ones I took while there. The full set of images can be found here.

fried vegetables

Fried broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and onion rings, served with a horseradish dipping sauce. One of the most delicious things I’ve eaten in recent memory.

January 6

Such horns!

PA Dairymen's Shake

All milkshakes should be half chocolate and half vanilla.

make way for sliding ducklings

Ducklings are delightful, but they don’t like to go on the slide.

cider lovers

I am most definitely a cider lover.

Fillmore Container!

At the Fillmore Container Preservation Station.

baby bunnies

Baby bunnies!

battered and fried mushrooms

These breaded and fried button mushrooms were delicious!

whole fruits

Just some of the canned foods entered into the competition.

matching chickens

I loved how these two were standing in the same position.

green beans

Nice examples of pressure canned green beans.

17 Responses to Pictures from the Pennsylvania Farm Show

ColleenB. says:

From the looks of it, the food was wonderful and there was lots to see and what a array of canned goods.
    Them little ducklings are adorable.
    Thanks for sharing these pictures . Enjoyed seeing each and every one of them

Sue Fine says:

I think having a farm show in JANUARY is a GREAT idea! Ahhh…

Sarah says:

When our kids are a bit older I think we would enjoy a trip to the Farm Show (we live in SW PA). Looks like a lot of fun. Did you see the giant butter sculpture?

jam bubba says:

Wish I was close enough to attend one of your seminars. I’ve searched and found podcasts of interviews with you and they are so informative. Demonstrations would be all the better.

Hope your book sales at the show are thru the roof.

Best wishes

Adrienne says:

This just proves that I didn’t get to enough fairs this past summer. The fried vegetable medley has long been my favorite fair food, and I don’t think I had any this year! Must remember to remedy that in 2014.

What a wonderful event to start the New Year with, made my day!

Emily K says:

I can’t believe i missed you! I was at the Farm Show wednesday, to compete in the Sheep to Shawl competition. I made my way around to the canned food sections beforehand and spied your book with the lovely ladies from Fillmore. I also tasted the delicious vanilla pear jam you made, holy moly! I do hope you share the recipe for those of us who missed you at the Farm Show!

So sorry I missed you, Emily! That pear vanilla jam is actually from the archives and the recipe is right here: http://foodinjars.com/2011/02/pear-vanilla-jam/

Katie W. says:

I went on Wednesday also, but to watch the Sheep to Shawl competition! It was so much fun to watch, I’d love to find a way to get involved!

I was also really impressed with the canned food competition section at the show. And, speaking of food, I haven’t tried them yet, but my uncle highly recommends the fried mozzarella balls (I found them in the main hall, but I was too full from other goodies by the time I got there)

• Emily K says:

Katie W – if you want to email me, i could answer some basic questions about sheep to shawl. ekephart gmail com

t.a. helton says:

The picture and caption of the baby ducks is cute! You would have never guessed they didn’t like the slide considering the line waiting to go down!! LOL

Jessi says:

Even when I lived in Pennsylvania I never went to the Farm Show Arena for the Farm Show, just the indoor Arena cross event Motorama…I really should have gone to the farm show.

Jessi says:

forgot to mention breaded mushrooms are ALWAYS amazing, since moving to Wisconsin I’ve started making my own.

Kaja says:

Oh no! You missed the butter sculpture!

Debby hill says:

Wish we had farm shows close to where I live. I love canning and looking forward to learning more in 2014

Andy Alex says:

The food looks delicious and the milk shakes are tempting. Chickens, rabbits and ducks, especially the ducklings look adorable.These pictures really gave the feeling of actually attending this fun show.