I am snuggled down in my sister’s very cozy guest room in Austin, Texas right now. I arrived Thursday afternoon and head home again on Thursday morning. I’m here to see Raina and Andrew’s new-ish house and spend as much time reading books and playing trains with Emmett (it’s hard work and he takes it all very seriously). I’m easing back on my work time a little while I’m here, so if you send me an email and I don’t reply quickly, that is why. I’ll plug myself back into the frenzy soon, but for now, I’m enjoying the mellower pace. Now, links.
- Want a dedicated canning apron? Kate over at The Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking has got you covered.
- I love these lemon oaty bars that Janet from A Raisin and a Porpoise made. She filled them with a batch of my honey lemon apple jam in which she slashed the sugar (you can do such things with apples because they’re so pectin rich).
- Bake mixes in jars with the instructions written right one them. Seriously smart.
- Baked apples two ways.
- If you come into a bounty of asian pears, pickle some and make asian pear liqueur with the rest.
- It’s the time of year to start a batch of salt-preserved lemons. Alexandra has a pretty, newly published blog post on the topic.
- Quinces are mostly gone in the Philadelphia area, but if you still have them, these preserved slices in white wine sound divine.
I think we set a Food in Jars record with this most recent giveaway from Fillmore Container. A total of 2063 people left comments on the post, which just blew me away. I am so happy that you all love these jars as much as I do.
Our winner is #676, which is the comment left by Cory. She said, ” I resolve in 2014 to actually eat my way through the larder I created this summer and fall. Which means a lot of pickles.”
Cory, I wish you the very best of luck eating through all those pickles!