Honey Sweetened Apricot Thyme Jam at Simple Bites

apricots in a bowl

This time of year, I get a little bit obsessed with apricots. I buy them by the half bushel from a local orcharding family (I get the seconds, which are cheaper but just as tasty) and make five kinds of jam, butter, preserved halves, mustards, and ketchups, all from apricots. I also eat my way through a small mountain of them plain, because there is nothing in the world so good as an apricot that ripened on the tree, traveled all of 100 miles and has never seen the inside of a cold room.

I’ll have a new apricot recipe or two for you guys soon, but also wanted to point you in the direction of a apricot post and recipe I wrote for Simple Bites that went live today. I dearly love this simple, small batch of honey-sweetened apricot jam, made herbaceous with a few fresh thyme leaves. It’s still lovely on toast, but really shines when served with a creamy wedge of cheese or some succulent tidbit of roasted meat.

The recipe is here. I daresay that it will make you want to leap up and find your way to the closest quart of sunny stonefruit to make your own batch.

12 Responses to Honey Sweetened Apricot Thyme Jam at Simple Bites

Lynne says:

Mmmmm apricots! Sadly, they’re not in season here yet. Either that, or they’re just stupidly expensive (they don’t grow here, but they do a few short hours away).

Right now, we’re being inundated with strawberries, raspberries and surprisingly, blueberries! It’s really early for those though. We usually don’t see them until mid-August! SO much jamming going on 😀

pamela says:

perfect timing – the fruit on my tree is ready now right now. thank you!

Julie says:

Apricots are one of the few things that we can’t U-Pick around here, so I’ll have to keep an eye out at the Farmers’ Market!

I bought apricots and thyme this morning at the farmers market so I can make this jam this week! Sadly my apricots need a day or two to ripen, but can’t wait to taste this one!

Erica says:

I made this recipe yesterday, and it turned out phenomenally. Thanks for sharing. I was wondering why it doesn’t need lemon or some kind of acid to stay preserved. Can you walk me through the science behind it? Thanks.

Apricots are high enough in acid naturally that they don’t need additional acid to be safe for boiling water bath canning. Here’s the chart where you can reference when you’re trying to discern what the average pH levels of fruit. You want the number to be lower that 4.6.

Jennifer says:

I made this delicious jam last summer but as it sat – in a cool, dark place, all the jars now have a half inch of darkened jam on top. The seals are good and it doesn’t smell off or have any mold. I’m concerned it isn’t safe to eat. I’ve never had a jam discolor before and so this has me confounded. I certainly couldn’t give it to anyone as a gift. Do you have an idea what might have caused this and if it’s safe?

JessaMay says:

I made this a few weeks back and it didn’t set properly. Before I processed these I even added pectin and they still didn’t set. I live at nearly 7,000 and have made countless jams with sugar and no issues before. Could it be the honey acts different at altitude? Maybe I just miscalculated and added too many apricots.

1. Plotting Preserves | barn | lust - March 6, 2014