Canning Questions, Communities, and Social Media

plate of tomatoes

We’ve hit that point of the summer when the number of canning questions arriving in my inbox each day is outstripping my ability to answer them in a timely manner. I hate that it can sometimes take me up to a week to answer your questions and so I’ve been searching around, trying to find a good solution.

It used to be that the Food in Jars Facebook page was a good way to the readers of the this site to engage with one another and get answers from a community of canners. However, Facebook has evolved in a way that has made it harder to use it in that manner.

Recently, Google Plus introduced Google Communities and it appears to be just the sort of thing I’ve been looking for. So I’ve created a little FiJ community and I’m throwing open the doors, in the hopes that it might just be a good place for ask questions, get answers, and share some favorite recipes. I’m hoping some of you will join me over there and help turn it into a vibrant place for conversation.

While we’re talking social media, don’t forget that you can also find me on FlickrTwitterPinterestInstagram, and Tumblr if you’re so inclined.

Finally, I’m headed to Boston tomorrow for three classes and a canning demo. There are still spots available in my dilly bean class tomorrow night (6-8 pm) at MassHORT as well as my Saturday morning jam and pickle class at Create a Cook. For those of you on a budget, I’m doing a free demo on Friday afternoon at  at the Hudson Public Library in Hudson, MA. The demo starts at 2 pm.

12 Responses to Canning Questions, Communities, and Social Media

Rachel says:

Boston! You are right in the stomping grounds of the Meal Makeover Moms. Coincidentally, they just did a podcast about home canning, and I suggested that they reach out to you for a possible crossover.

I love when my favorite things come together, don’t you?

Do you have any recommendations for canning pints of peach bbq sauce? I can only find half pint recipes and it will not be enough to cover the amount I constantly need…

You can process in pints instead of half pints. There’s no change to the recipe or the processing time.

jessica paulsen says:

Thanks so much! I rely on you as a voice of reason in my canning insanity. I bought 2 lugs of Faye Elberta peaches this year and am contemplating a third…. You have canning fans here in ND!

Terri says:

Hello ! Love the new blog. This was in our local paper today and I thought of you!
    Made in St. Louis: Mason jars showcase sand-etched images….sand etched mason jar lanterns and other stuff. Pretty fun what we can do with jars!
    Enjoy!

Do you have any recommendations for canning 12oz jars of peach syrup? I need enough to cover the amount I constantly need for my future desserts.

Jess says:

Marisa! This is so great! I am loving this community! Thank you so much for putting this together. What a great space for all of us kooky canners. : )

Nancy Dudley says:

I have a bunch of fresh lychees and I am looking for a canning recipe. I tried a lychee conserve posted on food.com, but it turned out more like candy, not even resembling a conserve. Does anyone have a recipe?

Donna C says:

I have a question regarding canning cored, fresh and quarter tomatoes. I followed the instructions to a tee, packed them down, used a canning knife to remove any air, added my lemon juice up to 1/2 inch from the top but after the water bath I noticed more air space at top of jars up to an inch in some jars. All jars sealed. Can I assume all is well? Should I store them upside down? That way all the tomatoes are under the liquid. Advice please!!

Dona C says:

Thanks for such a quick response , I really appreciate it . Love your blog!!