I spent the weekend up in Massachusetts at the wedding of a very old friend. It was a remarkable gathering in so many ways. It was held at a retreat center, so the bulk of the wedding guests were together from Friday night straight through until this morning. Everyone joyfully lent a hand in the hours before the ceremony, to ensure it would go without a hitch. And most unusually, there were 14 members of the clergy in attendance (both the bride and groom are Unitarian Universalist ministers).
After all that celebrating (as well as the driving to and fro), I’m more than a little weary, so I’m going to keep the links brief this week. Here’s a handful of highlights.
- Grilling season is here, so mix up a batch of mustard for those hot dogs.
- If you can still get your hands on them, make Shae’s meyer lemon jam.
- I knew there was a reason I prefer Kerr jars. They’re from Portland! This is a lovely piece from the Oregonian with about Albertina Kerr (oddly enough, we went to the same high school), who was the second wife of canning jar king Alexander Kerr.
- Don’t miss the beautiful photos of blueberry jam that Jen posted on Use Real Butter.
- Honeysuckle syrup! Oh dear god, yes please.
- A conserve of apricots, almonds and pistachios, or as Culinaria Eugenius calls is, California in a Jar.
- No one writes about food and life as beautifully as Elissa Altman. You must read her most recent blog post called Life Without an Oven.
The winner of the Mrs. Wages pickle basket is Christine W. who said, “My favorite thing at the start of canning season is strawberry jam! It puts the store-bought stuff to shame!” Christine, you are too right!
I’ll be back tomorrow with a giveaway that’s going to knock your socks off, so check back then!