This was the first weekend in the last month where I wasn’t traveling and didn’t have to attend a wedding. I taught a canning class on Saturday morning and then went cherry picking and picnicking with friends. Scott and I slept incredibly late on Sunday morning, ate a lazy homemade brunch and went to Costco. A good combination of productive and slothfulness, if you ask me. Now, to the links!
- A giant batch of homemade granola. It reminds me that it’s been far too long since I toasted up a sheet tray myself.
- Foraging for grape leaves, as the Lebanese do.
- Megan’s pre-baby fruit and nut bars. A very smart thing to have in the freezer!
- Speaking of handy snacks, these wheatless breakfast bars look perfect for easy mid-morning energy.
- Kaela made a batch of honey-sweetened rosemary rhubarb jam and now I can’t stop thinking about it. Also, did you see the leafy greens page she created? I’m swimming in kale, collards and chard myself right now, so I’m finding it VERY useful.
- A very smart reminder to take stock of your pantry in order to determine what you should make more of this summer and what you might be able to skip. Note to self: Less jam, more dilly beans.
- A salad booster of kale, nori, nuts and tangy, spicy things.
- Homemade almond extract from apricot pits. What a brilliant way to use something that would otherwise be thrown out. (And yes, she addresses the cyanide issue in her post.)
- A summertime toddie made with homemade clover tea. Scroll down to the bottom of the post for a photo of a glowing jar with a chicken in the background. Love it.
Here are a few things that I’ve written lately for other people.
- Table Matters got three strawberry recipes that I love.
- Lately, in the Whole Chicken Project, I’ve made an oven-roasted beer can chicken and a hot weather friendly poached bird.
- For the June installment of the Mrs. Wages newsletter, I offered up three of my favorite pickle recipes.
- Over at the FN Dish, this soup of peas and potatoes is not to be missed.
Last week was a very big week in Food in Jars giveaway land. Thanks to the incredible generosity of the folks at Hamilton Beach, I had eight of these Stack & Snap 10 Cup Food Processors to give away. Here are the winners!
- #8 Miriam Dema
- #105 Brianne
- #154 Barbara Keller
- #267 Amie
- #455 Rebecca E
- #845 Mairsydoats
- #974 Dee Tee
- #1112 Samantha
Congratulations to everyone who won! I’ll be in touch shortly to get your contact information.