- Madame Fromage poaches quince with lemon and vanilla serves it with mascarpone. Sounds dreamy.
- Candied cherry tomatoes. Why didn’t I think of this?
- Pickled young ginger. If you like gingery things, you owe yourself to make this pickle.
- If homemade coffee confounds you, this infographic should help you brew up something delicious in your own kitchen.
- Once every six months, I spend an hour or two catch up with the Grub Street Diet column. In this weekly piece, they have celebrities recount their diet over the course five or six days. David Rakoff’s week of food, published just a few months before he died, is beautifully written and full of perfect, wonderful details. It made me sad all over again that he is gone.
- Suzy from Eat Outside the Bag makes kimchi. It is on my own to-do list.
Finally, here are links to a few things I published elsewhere over the last week.
- Over at Simple Bites, there was my Maple-Sweetened Pumpkin Butter. It’s not safe for canning, but it keeps in the fridge for several weeks and freezes like a dream.
- What’s a squash hater to do in this season of pumpkin-spice-everything? I say, turn to chai and I did a round-up of tasty autumnal alternatives for Table Matters.
- Finally, for the FN Dish, I made Ina Garten’s Skillet Brownies. I served them for dessert at a little potluck, but after the trying week the east coast has had, I encourage you to make them for friends, family, first responders and anyone else who needs a little comfort and chocolate.