My Pickling Video from The Daily

About a month ago, two very nice folks drove down to Philadelphia in a rainstorm and spent a day and a half with me. We wandered around Reading Terminal Market and made multiple batches of pickles and jam. The goal was the production of two short canning videos. The first has just been posted and it is fantastic. I particularly love the stop-action animation they did of the carrots, asparagus and green beans climbing into the jars!

Update: Here are the links to the recipes we used for these recipes. Carrots. Beans. Asparagus.

42 Responses to My Pickling Video from The Daily

That was awesome! Loved the video!

Anherblady says:

Very good. Sweet and to the point. Like it. Want to tell us the brine and spices you used?

Maria says:

I really liked it. You put a LID on a hot water bath. I did not know that. Enjoyed it alot. I waiting impatiently for cucumbers to come in so I can make bread and butter pickles. They are my favorite

Yes, you should always put a lid on you canning pot, it helps trap the heat and bring it back up to a boil faster.

vandygrrl says:

Very interesting video – and it makes it appear so simple!

Camille says:

LOVE the music and quality of the video. Very intense and vibrant. Deffinetly makes me want to make pickles!(I just made some this morning, Tomorrow is an All day Jam and jelly fest)

Molly O says:

Very cute! Just the perfect length too!

sally says:

Love, love, loved this video! Well done.

Linda Crosbie says:

Loved that video. I wish I could do that so fast..
    Thank you for sharing that!!

What a cute video! Now I really want to go can something…

Olivia says:

The video is wonderful!

Sandy says:

That was awesome!!!

Susan LeClerc says:

Great video. I like the old-fashioned, silent movie music.

Alicia says:

How fun!

Ingrid says:

Well done! Can’t wait for the next one.

Pete says:

Oh, that is WONDERFUL! Just great.

Hate to appear to be negative here, but must mention that when removing jars from their bath, isn’t it better to keep them straight – no tilting? In case the hot liquid or one of those beautiful spices might get into the seal.

Call me Ms Picky – it’s OK! And I have found myself doing the same thing without realizing it. Most of the water on top of the jar will evaporate, but I usually use a bar towel after they are are out of the canner to soak up any excess.

Still, it is a terrific vid! Love it, love it. Looking forward to the next one.

Pete, in my experience, it’s no big deal to tilt the jars a little when you pull them out of the canner. By the time the jars come out of the canner, the lids are already pretty tight on there.

mary says:

Fun video but I always thought it was “bad” not to have at least an inch of water above the jars in the bath…and there was no mention of having something in the pan to keep them off the bottom or is that not important?

Mary, there was actually an inch of water covering the jars. It was a weird quirk of the photography that made it look like there wasn’t as much water in the pot as there actually was.

Cindy G. says:

Okay, after seeing this, I’m definitely going to add pickling veggies to my list of canning attempts this summer. I can’t wait for school to end so I have time to play in the kitchen!

This is really nice! Love to see the colours! And yes- I´d love the ingredients as well!?!
    Have a great sunday!

Darla says:

I will add pickling to my things to do list for summer. I did small batch sour cherry jam yesterday and it was a hit. This week it’s on to strawberry vanilla jam. Sorry to say our Barnes & Noble stores are out of your book, but I’ll keep looking or may have to order online.

[...] smart. More at the ABC.Pinterest Pin Of The Day : Click To Repin!Also: Ikea goes polka dot! Cute! How to pickle vegetables I love this little film, shot in Melbourne, do you? Steve Madden’s not so keen on the Olsen [...]

Oh what a fantastic video. Congratulations!! I love it and will definitely have to share that around.

I absolutely loved the video it gave me the courage to actually try is sometime this summer! Loved it!

erica says:

i wanted to ask about the inch of water over the jars as well, i’ve found that when i’ve ignored this rule the jars sometimes don’t seal well. is it not set in stone?

Erica, there actually was an inch of water over the jars. For some reason, the angle from which the video was shot just made it look like it wasn’t as full as it was.

erica says:

PS – the video is very cute :)

Juice says:

Great video! Fun and inspiring. :)

Adorable video! I love how the extra green beans kind of squiggle themselves away!

Oh wow–totally LOVED the video. I would love to have the recipe—where can I find it?

Also, a couple of questions from this pickle novice:

1. Is it not necessary to have the water at least an inch above the lid of the jar? If not, how come?

2. Do you store the canned jars in the refrigerator (even before opening) because these are veggies that need to be steam pressure canned?

Thanks! I just adore the style of this video and found that it really helped me want to do what you were doing! :)

1. There was actually an inch of water over the top of the jars, it just didn’t look like it.

2. Because these were pickled, they contain enough acid to be safe for boiling water bath canning. No need to keep in the fridge.

Cynthia in Denver says:

That was GREAT!!! Loved loved loved …the music! The camera angles! The colors! And also the stop action you mentioned!!

miss tejota says:

I adored this video. Thanks for posting this.

Elizabeth L says:

This is great. I also had a question about measurements and such. It seems like there was one inch of water over the jars from your responses to other comments, but was there 1/2 inch of headspace in the jars? It doesn’t look like it from the video, and I always have trouble – especially with dilly beans – making sure there’s enough headspace. The beans while processing float about the brine and then eventually settle (mostly) back down but they are often not fully submerged throughout storage (there is probably about 1/8 of an inch of the bean that isn’t submerged). It looked like the jars in the video didn’t have 1/2 of headspace and I’m just curious about why. thanks!

MoDad says:

I loved the video but was disappointed not to see the beautiful face of our heroine.

[...] video, from the ever-amazing Food in Jars, quickly walks you through how to pickle some common spring/summer [...]

Gwyn MacDonald says:

FUN!!!! the green beans sneaking away from the cutting board is great! just made a batch of your spicy pickles last night..can’t wait to test them!

Chip says:

Love the video!! My grandmother and my mother have been pickling vegetables like this for years BUT they never process in a water bath. I have done it both ways but find the ones that are processed come out “less crispy”. Why is the water bath required when pickling?

1. Monday: Newsy Snacks For Busy People | justb. - June 3, 2012

2. Pickling Video | Eat Drink Better - June 12, 2012

3. Vol 5, Original Issue Dates: June 10, 2012 – May 5, 2013 | Thrifty Sisters Living - November 10, 2013

[…] Either way, I love this video and there are links to these canning recipes.  It sure makes canning look easy!  http://www.foodinjars.com/2012/06/my-pickling-video-from-the-daily/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_me… […]