spine

More and more now, copies of the book are OUT THERE. This means that it’s time for me to start getting out there too. Here are some of the places I’ll be over the next few weeks.

Thursday, May 17
I’ll be at the Glen Mills, PA Whole Foods Market (that’s this one) from 6 – 7 pm. I’m going to demonstrate how to make strawberry vanilla jam, answer questions and sign books.

Friday, May 18
I’m speaking at TECHmunch in New York City. I’m going to do a quick small batch canning demo from 12:30 – 1 pm and I’ll be around the whole day if you want to come and say hi (it looks like there are still tickets available if you’re tempted to attend).

Saturday, May 19
I’m teaching a strawberry vanilla jam class at beautiful Blooming Glen Farm in Perkasie, PA. There are still spots available in this class and I’d love to see some of you there!  Click here to register.

Wednesday, May 23
I’m spending the day in Carlisle, PA. In the morning, I’m teaching a (sold out) canning class. From 3:30 – 5 pm, I’ll be at the Farmers on the Square market doing a couple of canning demos and answering canning questions. From 5:30 -6:30, I’ll be at the Whistlestop Book Shop signing books. Big, big thanks to Christine Burns Rudalevige for orchestrating all these events!

Tuesday, May 29
You’ll find me at the Odyssey Bookshop in South Hadley, MA from  7-9 pm. I’m going to do a refrigerator pickle demo and tasting and sign books. For more info, click here.

Saturday, June 2
I’ll be at my home away from home, Greensgrow Farm in Philadelphia, PA. From 12:30 – 2 pm, I’ll be on hand to sell and sign books, answer canning questions and offer you an array of pickled delights. Come on out and say hi!

Sunday, June 3
From 11 am – 1 pm, I’ll be at the Dupont Circle Farmers’ Market in Washington, D.C. It’s a canning demo and book signing and it should be lots of fun.

Monday, June 4
I’ll be at the Devon, PA Whole Foods Market from 5 – 7 pm. I’m going to demonstrate how strawberry vanilla jam again (it’s delicious and so seasonal!), answer questions and sign books.

Tuesday, June 5
I’ll be at the Callowhill, PA Whole Foods Market from 5 – 7 pm. This is my regular WFM, so I’m particularly excited to be there. Much like the other WFM events, I’m going to demonstrate how strawberry vanilla jam, answer questions and sign books.

Then I head to the west coast and things get crazy in a whole new way. I’ll round up all those events next week, so that no one misses out.

59 Responses to Classes and Demos: Blooming Glen Farm! Carlisle, PA! Whole Foods Market! And More!

Liz says:

I’ll see you in DC!

Rachel says:

I received your book for Mother’s Day! happy! Coming to Denver, perhaps?

I don’t have plans for Denver right now, but it’s on my wish list. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I can manage it either in the fall (apples!) or early next spring.

Smedette says:

Maybe I can sneak up to DC.

If you ever find yourself in Charlotte, I have a guest room with your name on it. Congratulations on your tour!

I’m planning to head south in the fall. I have friends who want me to come to Durham, so maybe I can figure out how to do a mini North Caroline tour!

Annie B says:

I received your book which I ordered from Amazon and I am loving it. Just like I love your blog.

Jan says:

Signed up for a class at Greensgrow on May 26…. not listed here but is it still on?
    thanks

Jan, that class is still on. It’s just sold out so I didn’t want to mention it and disappoint people. I’ll see you there!

Margaret says:

glad you’re coming to DC! :)

Michelle says:

Your book arrived today! Can’t wait to meet you in DC.

Debra says:

Justs got your book yesterday and it looks great, congrats! Maybe I can get my hands on some of those pint-and-a-half jars while we’re still swimming in asparagus. Have a great book tour; any plans for Northern Calif.?

I got my copy of your book in the mail this morning and lets just say the status of my lunch break today will be greatly improved! I can’t wait to dig in and check it all out. Must say, I’m impressed that it’s a hardback (wasn’t expecting that for some reason) an I love the size of it!

My new book is being pasted with sticky notes over which recipe to try first. Here is my bucket list for canning:

Strawberry Vanilla Jam
    Tomato Jam
    Whole Tomatoes
    Marinara Sauce
    Rhubarb anything…
    Lemon and Lime Curd
    and this is just for starters…. Pickles will be on the fall bucket list…
    Sharing your book with all my friends…may need to use it for Christmas gifts as well.

Liz says:

Love your site! Your cookbook is on order too.

Question for you – what are your thoughts on using frozen strawberries for jams? Do they break down too much? I am part of a CSA that will give me small baskets of strawberries in the early summer. Is it a bad idea to freeze them until I have enough to make a full batch of jam?

Christina says:

Will you be hosting any paid classes in DC?

I made Strawberry Vanilla and Strawberry Rhubard Jams on Monday. Amazing as always!

Christina, right now I don’t have any plans for a full-on class in DC. I just wasn’t able to make it happen this time but it’s on my list of things I want to do in the future.

Dru says:

See you in Carlisle! Fun travels!

heidi says:

I just got the book today! It’s a really beautiful book (hardcover! nice.) and it’s such a great combination of simple and clear (strawberry vanilla jam–yummm) recipes and “interesting enough for a gift” ideas and “oh, right, I’ve always wanted to make that” kinds of things. I have many pages bookmarked–can’t wait to dive in!

Stacy says:

Oh I would have LOVED to see you in Carlisle, PA! Are you ever in Lancaster, PA? Or anywhere closer to Lancaster?
    have a fun time :)
    Stacy

puu says:

got your book last night, and i just wanted to say it is lovely and wonderful and best of all, useful! congratulations on your success!

Lynn says:

I can’t wait to get your book! All this is very exciting and inspiring. I attended a talk with you and three others a few years back in SF and thoroughly enjoyed it. Look forward to you coming to the west coast (if Sacramento, you’re welcome to stay with us) for a class.

kickpleat says:

I’m going ton a cross country trip (in the US) this June and I’m kinda hoping that I’ll be landing in a city that you’ll be planning something in :) Cuz that would be awesome!

Holly says:

I just received your book in the mail and can’t wait for my class in L.A. on chutneys.

Susann Dalton says:

How sad am I? Very. You have come to New York City and will actually be blocks from my home only it ain’t funny because I won’t see you. The tickets are sold out and I couldn’t afford $150.00 anyway just to see you make jam for 1/2 an hour. Since I don’t drive I couldn’t make a road trip somewhere else but it is sad that you are going to be here but not really accessable to us plain folk so gee, I guess I am saying I am broken hearted. Sigh…um…two sighs.

Susann, I’m really sorry that this event wasn’t accessible for you this time around. However, rest assured that I’ll be back to New York again this summer and will make sure to do an event that doesn’t cost any money.

Andrea says:

Hi Marisa,
    Delurking to say I got your book in the mail today. I’ve read your column for two years, and the first recipe I ever canned was from your site. I enjoy your “voice” so much, and check for your new columns every day (but don’t feel pressured to post unless you’re having fun!). I appreciate how much information about canning you’ve put into the internets, and was so happy to support you by buying your book. It looks beautiful. Thank you very much.
    Sincerely,
    P.S. I am writing this with a Pint and a Half jar of iced coffee in my hand!
    Andrea

Andrea, thanks so much! I’m thrilled to know that you started canning with one of my recipes and that you’re happy with the book. Enjoy those Pint & a Half jars!

Cindy says:

I got my copy of the book from Amazon this afternoon. I sat down and read it all the way through. I am so excited to try these recipes. I grew up helping my Mom with long exhausting canning marathons. Now as an older single woman, I am so excited about small batch canning. In addition to the recipes, I was very interested in the notes about how to use them on meats and dressings. Thanks for a well-written book. I love it!

Cindy says:

Oh! PS: I love the texture of the paper the book is printed on. Not that shiny slick stuff! Thanks!

Betsy says:

Ahhhh….what a wonderful canning demo last night at Whole Foods in Glen Mills!! I’m so glad I finally got a chance to meet you (and the strawberry vanilla jam wasn’t too shabby either!! :-) I am loving your book–good luck with the rest of your east and west coast travels! Happy canning!

Suzanne says:

You need to do a demo and book signing at the Plymouth Meeting Whole Foods!

Angie Allen says:

Love love love the book; it is so beautiful and I have been reading each recipe one by one! I was so inspired, I got out my stainless steel stock pot to see if it would work for a water bath and I think it will! I had to buy new cookware when I got a ceramic cook top range and it was part of the set. I will surely be trying some of these wonderful concoctions; I thought of specific people when reading the recipes “Oh Mom would love this” Thanks!

colleen lawler says:

Marisa.
    I have not bought your book yet,- hoping you were coming to the Boston area and I could purchase a book at a class or event. You are coming to Mass. on Tues 5/29 to South Hadley and it looks like you are free till that Saturday. Can’t your publishers hook you up with an event in Boston? You would be ever so close. Crossing my fingers! Boston has a food swap community that would love to meet you in person. At least please think of coming somewhere in Mass or New England accessible to or near public transportation. Please come I’ll volunteer to track down a venue with kitchen if desired.
    Waiting in Boston, Colleen

Ooh, my birthday is next month. I’m gonna have to hint to my husband about your book! Looking forward to those west coast dates. :)

Sakura says:

Just received your booked in my mail box, and I love it! Hope to see you in Salt Lake City, Utah one day!

Congrats again, so thrilled for you!!!!

Alyson says:

Hi Marisa, I just wanted to leave you a quick note to say thank you for putting together your awesome book. I received a copy for mother’s day this year and have been reading through it as much as possible before my CSA starts and I need to start using it! Great job. I hope to get to see you in DC on the 3rd!

Alyson, I’m so happy to hear that you like the book! I’ll keep my eyes peeled for you on the 3rd.

Elizabeth L says:

I’m a huge fan of yours and so glad that you’ll be in DC at the Dupont Circle farmers’ market but so bummed that I’ll be out of town that weekend.

rachael says:

Ditto! I am so happy you’re coming to DC but I will be on vacation that weekend- the first vaca in 2+ years!! Please please come again- maybe northern VA area??

Lina says:

Come to Minneapolis! I love your blog, can’t wait to get the book!

Deanna says:

I wish you were coming a further bit north in New York! If you get a chance to come ro Rochester – please do!!!

Mrs. Fordyce says:

I was so excited to find your book at my favorite bookstore this afternoon. My husband and I have a fruit farm, and strawberries (and blueberries, kotata berries, raspberries, currants and gooseberries and plums) are almost ripe, and I am thrilled to have so many fun new recipes to try!