Quick Pickled Fennel with Orange Slices on Serious Eats

quick pickled fennel

Earlier this week, I devised a quick pickled fennel recipe for Serious Eats. If you like fennel, this pickle will make you very happy. It starts with a salting step that helps the fennel release some liquid and then has you toss the fennel with some freshly ground black pepper and sliced orange.

The oranges lend some sweetness and play nicely with the apple cider vinegar. I eat this one straight from the jar with my fingers, but if you have better manners than I do, I recommend drizzling a small portion with some olive oil and eating it with a fork.

If you’re ever interested in seeing all the pickle columns I’ve written for Serious Eats, I’ve added them to the bottom of my recipe index. Scroll all the way down and feast your eyes on all that pickly goodness.

, , , ,

15 Responses to Quick Pickled Fennel with Orange Slices on Serious Eats

Poor fennel. It has a love/hate relationship with eaters. Luckily, I love it. Coincidentally, I have some in my fridge and I am a woman that also loves a quick pickle. It’s Valentine’s day match made in fennel heaven.

Mad Dog says:

Sounds delightful ;-)

Kara says:

Ooh, I love fennel, too! Sounds great. One of my favorite salads combines fennel with orange (and jicama and avocado…).

Oh my, these look divine. I’ve really fallen in love with fennel this winter, and it looks like the orange takes these pickles into the over-the-top delicious arena.

(And I don’t have better manners than you– I too would eat these with my fingers.)

Alyssa Henry says:

Perfect! I have some fennel just waiting to be used and some wonderful oranges on hand. This is very timely and I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

Elle says:

Makes me want to grow fennel this year! Oh, man. Quick pickle. Fennel and orange. Brilliant. You get an A. Mmmmwhaaaaaa!

Juice says:

This looks delicious! Do you have any thoughts on using apple cider vinegar with the “mother” or without?

I think that the unfiltered vinegar with the mother probably has a few more health benefits than the apple cider vinegar without it. But in terms of flavor, they’ll be fairly comparable.

emmycooks says:

That pickle recipe looks great! I love fennel with citrus. If you are on a fennel kick, do you know the caramelized fennel pasta recipe in Deborah Madison’s Local Flavors? I was just thinking about that recipe yesterday–it gives the fennel an entirely new (to me) taste and texture.

Jo says:

I sent this link to my son-in-law and he made a small batch, they are wonderful! A fantastic mix of flavors.

Angela says:

These are so good! I made a batch-and-a-half on Saturday night and have already eaten a third of it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

[…] Source: Food In Jars  Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in Entree, Pickling and tagged Beets, Fennel, Pickles, Roots. Bookmark the permalink. ← The Ultimate Comfort Food: Daddy Bubba’s Chicken Pozole […]

Madeleine says:

Is there a suggested method for long storage of this recipe (on the shelf rather than the fridge)? Thanks.

1. Golden Beet, Fennel and Chickpeas Over Quinoa | nosuchrecipe - March 7, 2012