Classes at The Pantry at Delancey in Seattle and an Event at the Book Larder

rhubarb/sugar/rosemary
Every time I announce my class schedule, I hear from bunches of you that you wish I could come and teach a class in your town. This summer, I’m going to be doing a bunch of traveling and teaching as a way to help promote my book and hopefully, I’ll be able to make a few of your wishes come true.

The first firmed up, official book-type dates I have to announce are those in Seattle in early June. On Sunday, June 10 at 11 am, I’ll be at the Book Larder, doing a canning demo and book signing.

Then, on Monday, June 11 and Tuesday, June 12, I’ll be at The Pantry at Delancey, teaching a pair of identical classes that will feature four recipes/canning skills. We’ll be making gingered pickled sugar snap peas, slightly spicy pickled asparagus, rosemary rhubarb jelly (you can see the jam version of that recipe above) and strawberry vanilla jam. Those classes are filling up fast, so make sure to reserve your spot soon.

For those of you who don’t live in Seattle, I’m also currently working on events in Portland, Eugene, San Francisco, LA, Austin, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, DC.

If your city isn’t on the list and you want me to come to your town, let me know. Because I’m funding this tour entirely on my own, what I’m trying to do is schedule pairs of paid classes and free events everywhere I go so as to help cover costs. If you can help me find ways to make that work, I’d love to hear from you.

58 Responses to Classes at The Pantry at Delancey in Seattle and an Event at the Book Larder

Elizabeth says:

I’ll stay posted for your Baltimore dates! Looking forward to it.

Roze says:

What are you cooking in that pot? Oh, and I know where you’ll be…but, have a few ideas on where you can do book signings…email me if you’re interested! : )

Elizabeth says:

I am so excited for your Seattle classes! Whenever I see you post about your classes on the East Coast or in Portland, I’ve been jealous – when I saw your name in the Pantry’s new class roster, I had to immediately step away from my desk at work and call to reserve a spot. Can’t wait!

Jeni says:

Another Baltimore person who hopes to see you this year! Also a link to a site with a lovely use for a jar: http://www.shopterrain.com/for-garden/

JB

Ambica says:

I am so excited you are coming to Portland. Please keep me posted about your Portland classes.

So excited you’ll be in Seattle! I signed up for one of the classes at the Pantry, where I have been dying to take a class (so signed up for 4 classes all together). And the Book Larder will be great!

Katherine says:

DC or Baltimore, I’ll try stay posted when you set their dates.

Erin Wilson says:

Come to Athens! We have a great Canning and Preservation program at UGA, and we love fresh food and canning

JenEngland says:

Pittsburgh is super close to Philly!

Mike in Madison says:

If you’re looking for dates in Madison, WI, I can put you in touch with independent booksellers, the local extension service and a local organization that teaches canning classes.

Gayle says:

DEEEEEEE CEEEEEEEEE! Hooray!
    I don’t know who you’ve talked to so far, but maybe there’s a chance of having an Urban Preserving class at Hill’s Kitchen? Leah is a goddess and all the classes there *always* fill up. Fingers crossed we get you here one way or another…

Emily Rae says:

Oh why did I move from Seattle?

Liz A. says:

If you haven’t found a venue for SF yet, there’s a great place called the Workshop (a DIY “school”). It’s a wonderful place to learn, play, and can!

chppie says:

Thanks for showing us the Cuppow. Kind of interesting. I would have never thought to use something like that, but I have lots of mason jars and I try to always take a hot tea with me when I leave the house so something to consider. I was so glad to hear that it didn’t leak since that was my first concern.

Sara says:

If you would consider coming to Pittsburgh, I would be thrilled! As for a class location, I would be willing to host one in my kitchen, but size-wise it would be pretty limited (maybe 6 people), and I don’t know if that’s worthwhile for you or not. If you’ll consider Pittsburgh but need a bigger space, consider getting in touch with http://www.slowfoodpgh.com/, they do classes sometimes. And to sweeten the deal, if you come to Pittsburgh, I will host a pot luck dinner at my place and you can be the guest of honor!

Anna N says:

Ithaca, home of Cornell Cooperative Extension and a strong local food and farming movement, is lovely in the summer! The local independent bookstore is Buffalo Street Books, and you could also check out Edible Finger Lakes, Groundswell Center for local food and farming (http://www.groundswellcenter.org), Greenstar Food Coop, and IthaCan (http://ithacan.ning.com/, a web-based social network for home preservers). Email me if you want more info or an organizer!

Angela says:

We’d love to have you in Phoenix, on your way to or from LA! The Phoenix Public Market hosts events and classes, might be a good spot for you.

Count me among the B’more/DC crowd who would love, love, love a visit with you.

Lydia says:

Congrats on the book tour :) Why not come to Chicago? Not only is there a great following of canners here, but you could dine at some of the best restaurants on the planet!

Cary says:

Oh boy, getting closer! Can’t wait until you come to Portland and Eugene (unless of course you want to stop on your way through in Salem! In which case I would be happy to attend everything!) What kind of places are you looking for? Could I help with a stop in Salem?

Christina P says:

Another DC reader here. I’m super excited for your cookbook and classes!

Julianne says:

come to KC!

Jessica says:

Super bummed. Went to sign up for a class and they are already sold out :( feel free to add another class in Seattle.

Benita says:

Argh! Seattle is already full! And that would have been a wonderful birthday/college graduation present for myself. Here’s to the waitlist!

Sakura says:

We would love to have you come to salt lake city Utah! We’re all about food in jars. Can’t wait for the book.

Shannon Dillon says:

I’m so disappointed that I didn’t know of your blog when I lived in Center City Philly. Then again, I had exactly 1 kitchen cupboard for storing food, so I would’ve had no space for canning anyhow. So come to the Sacramento area! Think of all of the things that grow here in Zone 9 that have to be shipped such a long, long way to Philly!

[...] Canning demo and book signing with Marisa McClellan (Food In Jars)Location: Book LarderLink out: Click hereStart Time: 11:00Date: 2012-06-10 by [...]

I live in Troy, NY and we have a fantastic farmer’s market. People come from an hour away to shop and eat and meet. If you are already in the NYC/Boston area, Troy/Albany/The Capital Region is just 3 hours from both NYC and BOston (and Montreal) and I would LOVE to take a class from you. If interested, I would think you might be able to set something up with the Troy Farmer’s Market (www.troymarket.org). Best wishes on a great book tour!

KK

Julia says:

I would love to see you come to Boulder. I just put out a feeler to a local organic farm which has a commercial kitchen and holds all kinds of classes. After I get some sleep, I’ll apply my noggin to other possible venues.

Debra says:

WHEN (if) you come to Michigan, I want to know. Since your funding this venture I would help by offering free lodging for you. I would love to take a class!!!

Shani says:

How do I put my local book store in touch with you? I would love to see you come to Boston (or more specifically, Cambridge)? And I can think of a couple of places that already do cooking classes, so presumably they’ve had guest teachers use them too.

Kris says:

DC!! yay!!!!!!

Michele Puccini says:

Whoo Hoo!!! Baltimore!! Any idea of the exact date?

Letitia says:

If you can manage a Richmond or Charlottesville, VA tour stop, I would love to come, and I think there’s and interested audience in either of those cities. If you need some help on the ground to find willing hosts, just email me and I’d be happy to do the legwork.

Melodie says:

Another pittsburgher here hoping you
    come to our proud town.

Leah says:

I would love it if you came up to Boston.

Neena says:

We’d love to have you in the Atlanta-area. Since you’re self-funded, we’ll be happy to provide lodging!

Andrea B says:

It would be great if you could go to Twin Falls, Idaho. There is a great place there where you could do your demonstration. It is called Rudy’s http://www.cooksparadise.com/
    Andrea

Emily @Random Recycling says:

Come to Boston!! Just a quick train ride up from NYC :)

Sara Thompson says:

Try the Moscow Food Co-op in Moscow ID. I’m sure they would love to have you come and speak as well as host classes. I’d come!

jordan says:

you should definitely come to boston if you can! :)

Stazzi says:

Wow, Seattle is sold out already. Its further away from me (in Boise, ID) but I could stay with family. I’ll keep a close eye out for your portland date!

Bonnie Sanders says:

I would love to host a class at my home while you are in the LA area. I am just a few minutes north of downtown. I hosted Kate from Art of the Pie http://www.artofthepie.com/artofthepie/Welcome.html in the fall. Please let me know if that might be a possibility! Email me with info. Thanks!

Denice says:

Another shout out for Utah. If you come to Provo you can stay in our (empty) *downtown* apartment (free) and if you are willing to to do a night class (after 9pm) you can host a canning class (free) in our restaurant – Marley’s Gourmet Sliders. Lots and lots of preserving enthusiast in this part of the country!

Kristen says:

I vote for Moscow, ID. A quick and easy trip from Spokane for us – especially since Seattle filled up so fast!

EB says:

yay San Francisco!

Adrienne says:

Another vote for Boston! I just went to an author event last night at Porter Square Books in Cambridge and they did an AWESOME job. The bookstore is right next to the hardware store where I buy most of my canning supplies (they stock them year round! they special order Kerr wide mouth half pints for me!) It also happens to be right across the street from my culinary school, maybe you could teach a class there? Anyway, Boston would welcome you with open arms :)

Stephanie says:

The Pantry classes in Seattle are already full. So, so, sad!!!

Jeanne says:

Yeah!! Los Angeles canot wait to see you!

Hi!!! It would be so great if you could come to St. Paul/Minneapolis in Minnesota! If you think you can, I can let you know about great independent bookstores, and also a perfect place for classes (that also sells books!). I hope you’ll consider it.
    x Katherine

1. The Seattle Star » Canning demo and book signing with Marisa McClellan (Food In Jars) - January 26, 2012