Jars on Vacation: A Week in Lancaster County, PA

recent jar acquisitions

We’ve been back home for just over 24 hours and already, our vacation week is starting fade in the presence of regular life. While I unpack, do laundry and find spots for some of the treasures we picked up, here are a few jars from the trip.

baby pattypan in a jar

Baby pattypan squash, on their way to being pickled.

peanut butter chocolate dessert in a jar

We finished dinner at Ma(i)son in Lancaster City with a half pint jar full of chocolate peanut butter goodness.

finished dessert

All gone.

bailing wire jars

A couple of the vintage jars I picked up.

Food in Jars

Spelling out the name of this blog. It was too bad I couldn’t find a better ‘F’ in that box of blocks.

pickled pattypans

Those pattypans, all pickled and delicious.

packing jars

Making refrigerator pickles on a picnic table. You’ll see more of these soon, in an unexpected place.

post-vacation sea of jars

And home again.

21 Responses to Jars on Vacation: A Week in Lancaster County, PA

[...] Jars on Vacation: A Week in Lancaster County, PA (foodinjars.com) [...]

Amelia says:

Looks like a wonderful trip! The jars look stunning.

Love those vintage jars! I have never had pickled pattypan squash, I have never even thought of making them, what a terrific idea. So many possibilities…

~Brenda

Angie says:

wow…pretty pattypan pickles! I gotta grow those next year and do this with some of them!

Mindy says:

Looks like you hit the jackpot! I recently received some jars from a neighbors barn. I will spend part of today sanitizing them then filling them with grape juice. I so enjoy your blog!

What does your husband shop for while you are shopping for jars?? Some wonderful finds!

Betsey says:

I’d know Earl Groff’s baby pattpans anywhere and they do pickle beautifully! So glad you had such a wonderful getaway here and discovered Ma(i)son.

Steph says:

Ooh sweet, sweet little pattypans! Looks like you scored some real treasures!

EB says:

I had regular pattypans for dinner last night, never would have thought to pickle the mini-ones!

Angela Watts says:

Ahhhh, I grew patty pan for the first time last year and just knew they’d make adorable pickles….no room this year though. I want to call them flying saucer or UFO pickles though.

What a beautiful haul of vintage jars! It surely makes me want to visit Lancaster County again.

kala says:

I love those vintage jars, I never seem to find any cool ones!

Tammy B. says:

Nice haul. You can *never* have too many jars, right??? : )

Sara says:

I would love to have that recipe for the pickled patty pans, I’m being overwhelmed with them right now. How big are those, quarter sized, nickle sized…

marisa says:

They are quarter sized. All I did was take 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon pickling salt. While that came to a boil, I packed the squash into the jar, along with 2 tablespoons pickling spice. Pour brine over veg, apply lid and let cool. Pop into the fridge and allow to rest for a few days before eating.

Nicole says:

Forget the squash, I want the peanut butter recipe!! :) That looks so good!

Trish says:

Even though I live in Lanc Co, I hadn’t heard of Ma(i)son before. Thanks for sharing!

Aubrey says:

So much jar envy! And I want the recipe for those cute little pattypan squash, they look fantastic!

[...] might recognize this picture. I included it in my vacation post on Monday. Several people wrote in, hoping that I might post the recipe. I’m happy to do so, [...]

Angela says:

I don’t have jar addiction like you do, but I certainly see the beauty in them. I just wonder what used to be well-preserved in them thru the years??? Thanks for sharing.

1. The Grape Passage | One Mom's Balancing Act - August 23, 2011