Lemon Curd and Yogurt

lime curd on plain yogurt

This isn’t a recipe post. Nor does it contain a giveaway. It is simply an gentle nudge in the direction of something delicious.

In pursuit of cookbook greatness, I made a lot of curds last week. Lemon curd. Lime curd. Vanilla orange curd. And all of this week, I’ve been eating the run-off from those projects stirred into plain yogurt (greek yogurt. Homemade yogurt. Trader Joe’s creamy European-style yogurt. We go through a lot of yogurt).

Sometimes topped with granola. Sometimes plain. Always delicious.

empty lime curd jar

I exhort you. While citrus is still in season, do yourself a favor and make up a batch of curd. Meyer lemons are wonderful, though limes add a more tropical feel. If you want to feel like you’re eating pie for breakfast, search out some tiny key limes.

This recipe is nice, though I’ve heard that the bits of zest are a textural challenge for some folks. If you want a perfectly smooth curd, rub the zest into the sugar before cooking, that way it imparts all its flavor but doesn’t end up in the final product.

26 Responses to Lemon Curd and Yogurt

Myrnie says:

Yum!! I made a meyer lemon-grapefruit curd recently (was that your recipe, because it was scrummy!) We had it on scones, stirred into yogurt, and finally used the last bit in a yogurt dressing for a fruit salad (pineapple and mango.) What else would you do with curd? Tarts?

Nicole says:

I too love a good curd. Unfortunately, (or possibly fortunately) when I make it with no final product in mind it ends up being eaten with a spoon standing in front of the fridge.

Emily Rae says:

Make curd! Vanilla orange! Rub the zest in the sugar! This post is full of delicious ideas. Thank you.

Ann says:

Again, I agree totally! Lemon curd with vanilla yogurt is a favorite combo of mine. I posted about it last month. Yum!

Kaytee says:

Thanks for the nudge. I wanted to make some curd, but my schedule was too tight. Now, I think that sounds like a splendid idea. I must search out some citrus.

Anna says:

A couple months ago I made a lemon tart that was filled with lemon curd. The lemon curd was amazing and I was surprised but my husband has been asking me to make more lemon curd ever since. Maybe I’ll indulge him soon.

Kassie says:

Hi there! Your blog is beautiful. I’ve never canned but we’re planting a huge garden and I received a canner as a wedding gift, so I’m going to try this year! I’ll definitely be trying your recipes and coming here for inspiration. :)

Summer says:

Great idea! I made lemon curd for some lemon tarts and have quite a bit left over in the fridge. I wasn’t sure what to do with it, but now I know what to have for dessert. How long do curds keep in the fridge? about a week?

Catherine says:

I couldn’t agree more! I’d love to find some key limes as key lime curd sounds amazing. My favourite curd flavour at the moment is seville orange, I’ve just finished off the last of the batch I made but I was eating it on yoghurt, mixed with mascarpone, with cake, with shortbread, straight off a spoon… So good.

Brandee says:

I haven’t had curd in so long! Now, I want to make some, but I only have a few oranges and a grapefruit. Can I make orange curd using the same recipe?

Brandee, you can use oranges in place of the lemons to make the curd. However, you should keep it in the fridge and skip the canning step, as food scientists aren’t certain whether there’s enough acid it in for safe shelf stability.

Heather says:

If you don’t like the zest, you can also use a fine mesh strainer at the end to pull it out before canning. I believe that the Natl. Center for Home Food Preservations guidelines recommend eating fridge stored curd within 4 weeks. You can also freeze it for up to a year.

I love the idea of putting it in yogurt.

Rozenjoze says:

I am going to have to look up a recipe and try to make some curd…, but my question is on that jar…is that a specific make/style/model? So cute and would make great gift jars! Where can I find them?

Penny says:

I love yogurt, in particular with granola, in the morning. I haven’t made too much yogurt yet, but perhaps I can learn as I raise a lot of berries in the summer and they would make a great yogurt!

shoshana says:

This a great idea and even better way to reuse my mason jars!

Nina says:

I am on a major lemon curd kick at the moment. Do you have a recipe for a vanilla orange curd? How much vanilla to how many oranges? I’d really like to try something different. Thank you in advance.
    Nina

I love lemon curd, what a delicious idea.

-Brenda

This really does look great!

Sarah says:

Lemon curd in yogurt with strawberries!

Anita says:

Marisa,
    Any chance you could post a homemade yogurt recipe to go with this? Mine never sets properly!
    Thanks!
    Anita

Karen says:

I just made a batch of whole wheat butter cookies to top with lemon curd for an event this week. Eating curd with yogurt is definitely one of my favorites though! Thanks for the reminder.

Chiot's Run says:

I must make some curd, I have a bunch of Meyer and regular lemons in the basement. I’m also considering making some grapefruit and I have some. Would be tart, but I LOVE tart!

[…] of the blogs I read strongly suggested (demanded?) that we make lemon curd before citrus was out of season.  We also happened to have 4 […]

[…] about canning written by Marisa McClellan, who has a forthcoming book on the subject. Check out her lemon curd post. Que rico!Gretchen is Texan Mama, a mother of 5 whose blog tag is “Even the Chaos is […]

[…] for me to have around. But in January or February, it just seems right to whisk up a batch and stir it into greek yogurt. It beats the winter blues better than a trip to the […]

1. Thankful (and it’s not even November!) | Suzi & Chris - March 25, 2011

2. Augmented Reality - April 4, 2011

3. Eight Ways to Preserve Meyer Lemons - Food in Jars | Food in Jars - February 7, 2013