Dark Days: Pullet Eggs Poached in Quick Tomato and Spinach Sauce

239 | 365

My March column in Grid Philly (it’s a local magazine dedicated sustainability) is all about eggs. I’ve come up with three seriously delicious egg recipes that are a little different from your standard scrambled or sunnyside up. Because the magazine devoted to keeping things local, I try to only develop recipes with ingredients that are currently available (or will be when the issue is available) from Philly’s 100 mile food radius. So frequently, my dark days eating overlaps with the recipes I’ve tested for my piece.

This dish is a quick tomato sauce, made from minced onions simmered in some cultured butter, a big can of crushed tomatoes and several generous handfuls of tunnel grown baby spinach. Once the sauce was thickened, I carved out four little hollows at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o’clock and dropped in pullet eggs (smaller eggs from young chickens). I added a splash of water so that there’d be enough liquid to cook the tops of the eggs and put a lid on for a few minutes.

When it was time to serve, I ladled two eggs and their sauce over a piece of toasted rustic bread that I’d rubbed with some raw garlic. It was absolutely wonderful eating and all ingredients (save the bread – it was from Metropolitan Bakery) were purchased from the Fair Food Farmstand at Reading Terminal Market. This meal would be in heavy rotation around here, if only Scott liked poached eggs. As it stands, this one is a regular dining alone meal because it only take about 20 minutes from start to finish and it a complete meal (the green vegetable is right there in the sauce).

23 Responses to Dark Days: Pullet Eggs Poached in Quick Tomato and Spinach Sauce

sasha kaplan says:

There is a dish served in a Portland restaurant that opened this past year that is quite similar. I just love vegetables simmered with poached eggs cooked in the veggies. Also there is a Turkish egg dish where you mix thick Greek- style yoghurt with garlic. You spread it thinly on a plate. You plop poached eggs on top and then drizzle some hot spicy melted butter which is red colored form the spices. I usually use a combo of smoked paprika and Aleppo pepper in the butter mixture.
    Matt and I love poached eggs. Yum, breakfast for dinner.

I’m intrigued by cultured butter, which I’ve never had. I just googled it… where do you get yours?

Sarah, I typically get the cultured butter from the Fair Food Farmstand at Reading Terminal Market, although I’ve also been known to make my own from local cream treated with a bit of yogurt.

Jen Barthell says:

Somehow my wheat toast with rhubarb orange butter doesn’t sound quite as good as it did five minutes ago. This sounds amazing!!

Looking good! I love creative egg dishes!

Tamra says:

The perfect food -the incredible edible egg!

Taryn says:

That looks amazing. This may be a pretty awful question… but if I only have jars of whole tomatoes, can I, say, crush them beforehand instead? I feel like a total goof for asking.

Taryn, don’t feel like a goof. You can totally crush your whole tomatoes. Either run them through the blender on a very low speed or just pour them into a bowl and use your hands until you’ve got a fairly even consistency.

stacey says:

yum! this sounds so good! i’m loving your dark days series!

i awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award! head over to http://www.agoodandsimplelife.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html and check it out!

Rebecca says:

Michael won’t eat eggs in any form but hard boiled or scrambled. But when confronted with a dish like this where the poached eggs become part of the sauce, I know he would go for it! I’m doing this later this week using our home canned chard and tomatoes. It’s a winner!

courtney says:

this looks very much like the recipe I saw on another blog a couple of years ago: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/eggs-in-tomato-sauce-contest-winners/

Amy says:

I made this for dinner tonight. My sons and I loved it. Great meal. I almost always have these ingredients on hand. Thanks!

Kimberley says:

I am so enamored with that image! I could eat that for dinner tonight.

Camille says:

I love this idea! There are so many ways to cook eggs (and being a part of the Dark Days challenge myself) I love to hear what others have come up with.
    Definitely unique, something I’m going to try, so thanks!
    -Camille

Carine says:

Love this dish! Grew up eating it… it’s originally an Israeli dish called Shakshuka.

sarah says:

This sounds a lot like a dish called shakshouka that we have in algeria. there are many variations, but all delicous.

Angela says:

Marisa, Like Scott I too do not care for poached eggs so I just whisk them in a small bowl & then pour them into the hollows & cook a few minutes before adding everyone else’s eggs. Everybody’s happy!

Georgia says:

This looks so yummy!!! We have a ton of eggs right now, so I’ll definitely try it!

New Reader says:

This looks a lot like a recipe posted on Smitten Kitchen Sept. 2008…

[…] and this spanakopita recipe from Smitten Kitchen accomplished that feat, no problem. These poached eggs in spinach and tomato sauce from Food in Jars weren’t too shabby either (read: […]

1. The Easiest Way to Save Spinach (and Other Vegetables) from Certain Ruin | GoodVeg - October 12, 2011