Dark Days: Beer Braised Brisket and Onions

dark days brisket

Despite my Jewish roots, beef brisket is not a cut of meat I grew up with. We had the occasional pot roast, but mostly my mom gravitated towards quicker cooking bits of beef and lots of chicken. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I discovered the miracle that is brisket, thanks to my meat buying club (recently renamed Sweet Stem Farm).

brisket

In preparation for the braising urge that I knew would soon strike, I added a brisket to my January order and this Sunday was the day (it also happened to take up an excessively large amount of room in the freezer). My preferred way to braise brisket is to season it well with salt and pepper, brown it in my big oval Staub pot and then remove it to plate. Then three or four chopped onions get cooked in all the deliciousness that remains in the pot. Once they’ve gone soft and brown, the brisket goes back in the pot and half the onions go on top. Two bottles of beer go in (I used Philadelphia Brewing Company’s Kenzinger this time and it was perfect) and then the whole pot goes into the oven at 300 degrees for four to five hours.

The meat was incredibly tender, flavorful and fragrant. It smelled so good while it was cooking that I could barely take it. We ate it with some roasted carrots (local) and steamed broccoli (not local – the pickings are really slim around here for local green things at the moment). So, so good.

16 Responses to Dark Days: Beer Braised Brisket and Onions

meemsnyc says:

I love cooking meat with beer! This one sounds amazing! Looks so good.

Alissa says:

brisket is the best! i’m from the UK, and we don’t see a lot of it, but a Texan couple cooked some for me once (for such a perfectly long amount of time) and it was fantastic!

Robin says:

That looks absolutely delicious! I haven’t made a brisket or a roast so far this winter….I know what I’ll be making in the near future!

Vanessa says:

Looks great! I love brisket, and it must be great with beer.

Laura says:

Just saw your kitchen on Re-Nest! Love it!

This looks wonderful! It would be perfect food for today…a snow day!

Good gravy that looks delicious! My mama makes a mean brisket and I’ve been meaning to snag the recipe for years, however I am always put off my the ingredient “onion soup mix”. Guess I should just grin and bear it, or perhaps work on conjuring a less-processed substitute.

I hope you had some leftover, cos brisket is infinitely yummier on the second and third days.

Denise says:

I LOVE making brisket, especially with BBQ sauce. This looks delicious, and now I’m going to have to make some. Yum!

Alice in Seattle says:

What is your spoon butter? (looks like bacon fat) I use mineral oil.

I’ve done something similar with buffalo and Guinness, and it was superb.

Karen says:

Looks DELICIOUS! Thank you for the inspiration.

Cindy says:

I always get so inspired when I read your blog….

Alana says:

Okay, I know I missed the comments window for your show post, but I’ve just got to pipe in here- you guys are fantastic. I will eagerly await the next episode. And I love brisket too.

Kimberley says:

I really enjoy your Dark Days posts. Just sayin. 🙂

Looks fantastic and perfectly hearty!

Julia says:

You had me at beer! That looks great!