Dark Days: Veal Cutlets, Sauteed Spinach and Roasted Potatoes

Valentine's Day Meal

The short, chilly days of winter are now upon us and that means just one thing. Time for another round of the Dark Day Challenge, in which participants from all over the country (and world) prepare at least one intentionally local meal per week during the winter and blog about it. The goal is to prove that it’s possible to eat locally, even during the cold months when the verdant abundance of summer is just a memory.

For this first week, I have a meal that’s actually doing double duty for me. It’s the bulk of my article for the February issue of Grid Philly, all about how to have a romantic and tasty home-cooked Valentine’s Day. You’ll have to wait until that issue hits the street (or internet) to get the full details of the menu. However, I can tell you that it was everything you want in a celebratory meal – a little bit special, not at all too hard and very satisfying. It also requires the use of both a knife and a fork, which alone elevates it above more than half the meals I make on a regular basis. All ingredients were sourced from the Fair Food Farmstand at Reading Terminal Market, a highly useful resource for Philadelphia grocery shoppers as they carry nearly everything you need for virtuous eating, all year round.

8 Responses to Dark Days: Veal Cutlets, Sauteed Spinach and Roasted Potatoes

Kate Stulpin says:

This is such a great idea! And relatively easy too! I’ve been looking at your blog since you came to Tenaya’s class to talk about blogging, and I really enjoyed what you had to say so I’ve started my own!

meemsnyc says:

Oh wow, that plate looks mouth wateringly good! I can’t wait to read about the recipe!

Great post! Yes I agree it is fairly easy to cook locally all year round, if you know where to look! This is a great dish!

gil says:

Tasty looking plate!

Joy says:

Excellent! I love kale in the winter months, a frozen over and hearty green with a memory of summer but much sturdier. We’re very lucky in that the farm that provides us with our CSA also has a full range of greenhouses and cold frames so that our local fare keeps coming throughout the year. I love this Dark Day Challenge, I think it really makes us think about what it means to eat locally, even when it’s not as easy.

Arlene says:

What a lovely first Dark Days meal, I will look forward to reading the rest of it, and to see what you come up with next week.

[...] been eating locally round Food in Jars HQ. During the first week, our local meal consisted of veal, sauteed spinach and roasted potatoes. Week two brought with it icy weather and a much-needed pot of beef stew. All hail meals that can [...]

Joseph Mangiantini says:

Marisa, you folks are doing a wonderful job on this site. Great work. Keep it up.

Joe

1. Dark Days ’10/11 Recap #1 (Group 6) « (not so) Urban Hennery - December 19, 2010