Books, Press, Conferences and More

103 | 365

When I was 13 years old, I decided that I wanted to become a public speaker when I grew up (yes, I do realize that that’s sort of an odd thing for a freshly minted teenager to choose). The only problem was that I didn’t know what it was that I wanted to talk about. So I let that dream go quiet, not giving up on it exactly, but letting it slip to the background as I went to school, moved across the country, worked and generally lived my life.

It’s funny how things work out though, because in the process of living, I found my niche and became someone who publicly writes, teaches and talks about canning and home food preservation. The 13 year old version of me would be pretty incredulous, but the 31 year old version couldn’t be happier with the way things are working out.

To that end, I thought it was time to share with you some good news (though if you spotted the article the Daily News article in which I was featured, you’ve already got the scoop). I’m writing a cookbook. It will be called Food in Jars (just like this website) and will include 100 recipes that will cover jams, pickles, fruit butters, tomato products, granolas and bread mixes. The book will be published by Running Press and will be coming out in the spring of 2012. As you might guess, I am thrilled.

white peaches

In other fun news, the BlogHer Food agenda was published last week and I’m excited to say that I’ll be speaking in the session entitled The Old-School Arts: Canning, Preserving, Foraging. My fellow Philly-based preserver Audra Wolfe (aka Doris the Goat) will also be up there with me and Sean Timberlake (who just launched the fabulous Punk Domestics site) will be moderating the session.

And now, in other preserving news, I’ve recently learned that the Mother Earth News Fair is taking place the weekend of September 25-26 just outside of Pittsburgh, PA and has a huge focus on canning, preserving, fermentation, cheese-making, baking, beer brewing and other kitchen arts. Unfortunately, I’ve already got plans that weekend, so I can’t go. However, for those of you who live within a doable drive of that area, I think you should consider attending. It sounds amazing (Sherri Brooks Vinton, the author of Put ‘Em Up! will be there) and the tickets are really affordable. A one-day pass is $15 and a weekend pass is $25. Kids 17 years and under are free.

, , , ,

27 Responses to Books, Press, Conferences and More

Devon H says:

Congrats to you!!! Very happy for you, and can’t wait to nab the book when it comes out. :)

Susan says:

Awesome! Congratulations! I’m so looking forward to your book!

kaela says:

Congratulations! Wonderful and exciting news.

meemsnyc says:

Congrats on the book and speaking engagement. What exciting news.

Amelia says:

Way to go on the book deal. Dreams to come true.

Taylor says:

Congratulations, Marisa! What a perfect culmination of all the hard work you’ve done in the past year writing, teaching, blogging, and canning.

Congratulations on all of the wonderful things that are coming your way. Well deserved!

Adrienne says:

Hooray! Congratulations. I’m already looking forward to reading your book :)

bashtree says:

Hey, a book! That’s great!! Well deserved, too!

seadragon says:

Congratulations!

Anna says:

Congratulations! How exciting!

Congrats! I love all your recipes and can’t wait for the book to come out!

Era says:

CONGRATULATIONS!! I can’t wait to buy it.

Erin says:

I couldn’t possibly be more thrilled for you! Congratulations on the upcoming cookbook. I love it when my fellow ex-admins have lovely things happen to them. PS: I’ll be first in line when Food in Jars is released.

Chris says:

Congratulations on the book! Looking forward to it!

I’m really really proud of you! I don’t know you, but I’m so proud–strange how this blog world works, huh? :)

MoMack says:

As Marisa’s dad, I have to add that I am CRAZY proud! Not just of the upcoming book thingy, but the whole package. The book deal does push me right over into CRAZY, however. Love to you, Marisa.

Marisa, though I’ve indeed expected this news to come eventually, I’m thrilled that it’s here, now. you’ve done a fantastic job of building a pretty, useful site and a full pantry besides. wish I could come and cheer you on for Blogher Food! instead, I’ll be at home, pursuing my dream over a full-to-overflowing stove :)

Emily Rae says:

Congratulations Marisa! Your website is so intelligent, usefull, and fun, and I look forward to your cookbook!

You guys, thank you so, so much for so many wonderful words. I will do my best to create the best canning book I possibly can for you all.

tigress says:

hey marisa! i’m late on the congrats ’cause i’m all wrapped up in music festival madness. i am so happy for you!!!!! congrats! your book is going to be wonderful, i am absolutely sure of that! :)

Farleigh says:

So many, many congratulations! I can say, “I remember her when…” When being IB English way back in the days of Lincoln High School. Amazing the direction life takes us. I can’t wait to grab your book, it is going to be just wonderful! Congrats once again! :)

anduin says:

Congratulations! I knew this had to be coming–a publisher would be crazy not to give you a book deal. My favorite part about your recipes is that you tell us what to expect (taste and texture), what it can be used for, and what substitutions could be made. My pet peeve about the Ball book is that there is no description of the recipes. I hope you continue this format in your book.

Also, I would love to read about the process as you write the book: how you decide which categories to use, the layout and format. Will you have lots of pictures step by step, as in your blog, or will you have just a few pictures of the finished products? Will you organize by season, by ingredient, or by end-product? Perhaps you’ve already thought this through, but if not, I’d be very interested in following your thought processes.

Bee says:

Congratulations on your book, Marissa! i look forward to it

Mike says:

Marisa – I am so very, very excited for you. Your success certainly does not come as a surprise to me!

Citysister says:

Congrats on the book deal! My family is going to the mother earth news fair this weekend (and camping yea!!!!) I’ll be reporting on it on my blog next week…I wonder if it will be like the common ground fair in maine…I hear that’s what they were modeling it from.

Julie Parr says:

Congratulations Marisa! That’s awesome. Very exciting!