Dark Days: Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges

sweet potato wedges

Kids, the larder was really bare of fresh, local foods this week. Couple my trip out of town last weekend with the fact that I missed the ordering deadline for my bi-weekly Winter Harvest delivery and that Philly got more than two feet of snow yesterday (canceling my neighborhood farmers’ market), I haven’t really grocery-shopped in more than two weeks. The pickings are slim around here.

So, this afternoon, I quartered two pounds of sweet potato fingerlings I had in the fridge, tossed them with some olive oil and kosher salt and roasted them at 425 degrees until they were browned, tender and crispy around the edges. I ate them with some scrambled eggs (from happy, local chickens) and called it good.

It was a useful reminder that while shopping locally doesn’t have to be hard, it does take some pre-planning. Normally, I have good systems in place to make it easy to keep my fridge stocked and full of options. But when one part of that system fails, I immediately fall back to shopping at Trader Joe’s, Di Bruno Bros. (they pride themselves on all their high-end, imported stuff. Tasty, but decidedly not local) and Sue’s Produce.

The forecast is calling for more snow, so my market might not happen again next weekend and the next Winter Harvest delivery is still another week away. Thankfully, the Fair Food Farmstand is still operating, so I’m going to run over there during my lunch hour on Tuesday and restock. And soon, I’ll have my system running again, funneling lots of good, local food from the farms, right to my kitchen.

20 Responses to Dark Days: Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges

Daisy Mae says:

Gosh – you just solved my dilemna of what to have for dinner tonight. Without going to the store. Sweet Potatoes and Eggs are pretty much the only thing in my refrigerator right now as well!

Melanie says:

I had a similar challenge before me for dinner last night. Between a couple weekends of traveling and then this snow storm in Baltimore, I haven’t been to our local farmer’s market in a few weeks (and have been holding out hoping that we could get there…hence a larder empty of most fresh anything). On Thursday night I did cave and decide it wouldn’t be wise to hope for the market on Saturday, so we went to Whole Foods for a few staples. I was pleased to see apples from PA. I was bummed to see that my backup local milk that WF carries from Chambersburg, PA, was totally out of stock. Blast.

Meanwhile, I was telling my husband about your dark days challenge over dinner last evening. Our dinner was pretty close to all local – only the tortillas were not. We had sweet potato quesadillas – local sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, cheese, even salsa and sour cream. YUMMY. 🙂

I’m desprately hoping to be able to get to the market next Saturday morning – I’m leaving town *again* that day, but not until afternoon. Fingers crossed!!

Carly says:

Roasted sweet potatoes are like local candy in the winter time! Yum! I love your dark days posts and in reading this one, thought i should offer up one more way to get local foods around Philly in the winter: Farm Fresh Express (soon to be renamed Harvest Local Foods). It’s two women owners started it from a love of local foods and the comments they often heard from friends who said, “i’d love to eat local, i just don’t have the time to shop for it.” It’s sort of like a weekly Winter Harvest, except for $10 they deliver your order in an iced down cooler to your front door. There’s no membership commitment and they have about 200, mostly local offerings on their online list, which is open for shopping every week between Sat night and Wed morning. Delivery to center city is Wed. I’ve been working with them more two years and just can’t say enough good about it!

That’s funny Daisy Mae! Glad to have planned dinner for you! 😉
    Melanie, the combination of traveling and snow makes eating locally extra hard, doesn’t it!
    Carly, that is really good to know. I will definitely look into Farm Fresh Express/Harvest Local Foods. Thanks!

Kathy Doyle says:

two feet! And to think we in the UK fall apart at the appearance of a fraction of that snowfall – I suppose we just don’t expect it – six inches of snow and england grinds to a halt. Never mind, with your advice I hope to have a pantry full of jars of lovely stuff next year. Lovely blog, thankyou.

Kimberly says:

Yum. I think that sounds like the perfect meal this week.

(p.s. first time commenter, but long time reader. Love your blog.)

margo says:

I roasted sweet potatoes for my dark days this week too! (to post tomorrow)
    And I couldn’t help but notice your bright pan – I assume it’s not new and that you often roast stuff on it. Mine has stuff that is baked on so hard that my steel scrubber doesn’t take it off. Any tips?

Kathy, this is actually an unusually large amount of snow for us. However, because it all fell on a weekend, it didn’t shutter the city in the same way that it would have had it fallen on a weekday.

Kimberly, that you so much for taking the time to delurk and leave a comment. I really appreciate it.

Margo, honestly, if you could see that pan close up, it wouldn’t look nearly so bright and shiny as it does in the picture (it’s about four years old). That said, I am something of a compulsive scrubber and so scrub those pans really thoroughly after every use (and never put them through the dishwasher). Beyond that, I don’t have a whole lot to recommend. Sorry!

Dude. Make some mayonnaise, or better yet, aioli. Eat the whole pan of sweet potatoes, dunking them one by one in the mayo. If you’re feeling ambitious, also make a lentil soup. This is my all-time-favorite hardly any food in the house winter meal.

Well shoot, why didn’t I think of that?! It would have been the perfect excuse to eat a pile of homemade mayo. The lentil soup is also a good suggestion and something that rarely occurs to me.

ecentipede says:

oh philadelphia, buried in snow! busy-ness, the remains of the flu, and ‘impending snow storm the third’ collaborated, and i bought produce at acme. it was, as imagined, fairly slim pickings. from who knows where.

Rachel says:

FYI- Roasted sweet potatoes are AMAZING with orange marmalade.

Ooo, Rachel, that’s brilliant!

Daisy Mae says:

I sprinkle my sweets with chili powder before roasting, then dip my roasted sweets in blue cheese dressing. Yum.

Cindy says:

I love those nice and easy recipes. I’d add a bit of garlic to it, but I’m sure it already tastes pretty good.

Carolyn says:

Got one geenormous sweet potato left in the tater bin, and I haven’t had roasted sweet potatoes in forever- fries it will be, thanks Marisa! Unfortunately it is probably far from local.
    We still have white knuckle driving conditions here (Annapolis) on many community roads, so I’ve only been out twice since the first blizzard, and on the first attempt I had to get pushed out of a snowbank. Looks like the farmer’s market is some time in the future for me!

Faye says:

just in case the snow is still keeping you in:
    you could always watch a little Dinner Confidential!
    I am going to learn to can something if it kills me!
    (I’m afraid of the sterilization part)
    youtube.com/user/dinnerconfidential

Kathryn says:

I know it’s a bit late, but I wanted to add that when I make sweet potato fries, I use oil and salt, like you did, but I also sprinkle on onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and fresh ground pepper. Not all locally sourced, but very yummy indeed.

Faye, I’m completely enamored of Dinner Confidential!

Kathryn, that sounds delicious!

[…] Dark Days meal contains some repeats. Delicious though they may be, you’ve seen me do roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts before. Happily, I do have one new component to bring to the table. Mini […]

1. Food in Jars » Dark Days: Mini-Turkey Burgers, Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Sprouts - February 28, 2010